A Look At Mercer

A Look At Mercer

Postby SU DOG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

The Bears are basically the same team that we handled last year in Macon. They lost VERY little, and I promise you we will see a much better offense this year, IMO, the biggest improvements are play calling and a surprise new QB. I am really high on RS-Fr. Robert Riddle, a 3*** pro style QB. How much will Riley play, and how much will Riddle play, we won't know until tomorrow. I like Riddle's composure in the pocket, his arm is strong, and while not labeled a dual - threat, he isn't bad at tucking it under and gaining good yardage. Our defense will be tested much more than last year, when the Mercer offense(against us)was so inept.

As for the Mercer defense, I'm not sold on their ability to put pressure on Hodges, nor on their secondary. I can see us scoring big time, as our offense is better than last year. Their 3-front allows for a disguised fast rush from many different angles. Still, our O-Line should be able to pick up most of these blitzes and we know that Hodges certainly doesn't need much time.

We have the best team. Now, if we are focused, and get over the nice FSU performance, Samford starts the SoCon 1-0. Somehow, I think we might have a team that is a different animal this time. They have their goals set lofty, seem to have great team chemistry, and there is a world of talent on this squad.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: A Look At Mercer

Postby Cujo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm

When I read the subject line, I expected to open the post and see a picture of a troll or some other hideous image.

SU Dog, is your assessment based upon Mercer’s game against a D3 team last week?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 pm

First off, this is NOT an assessment. It is a quick LOOK at a few things I see, as the title says.

Technically, Jacksonville is not a D-3 school.

My opinion is based on carefully watching the 2 Mercer games several times over, and then using my 16 years of football coaching experience as a background to form at least educated guesses - certainly NOT a critical scientific analysis.

Anyone's disagreement with my post is MORE than welcomed to point out their viewpoint( which admittedly may be far more accurate).
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 pm

The board is getting a little chippy lately. I think we need to just throw down bare-knuckled style Saturday and get this party started! If the boys want to fight, you better let them.

I just asked what you based your "educated" "look" upon. I wasn't implying it was wrong nor that your years of vast experience with coaching football had been wasted.

1. Jacksonville can call its non-scholarship football team "D1" so it can keep its D1 status in all other sports (and play for the most part nothing but other non-scholarship D1 schools playing the same word game), but that don't make them better than any other D3 school. You can call decaying flesh a "rose" but is still smells like decaying flesh.

2. Assessment means "A judgment about something based on an understanding of the situation." Not sure I understand why you quibbled over the use of the word assessment, since you offered us your opinions (i.e. judgments). Once you say, "I like" or "IMO" you are expressing an opinion, i.e. making a judgment. I guess it was kind of silly of me to use the word "assessment" when your "quick look" included "carefully watching" "two games" not once but "several times" and thereafter applying 16 years of coaching knowledge to form your opinions.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 pm

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby SU DOG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 pm

It's all good cujo, but since you asked. I did not make an assessment of the Mercer team, but just some observations. No need to quibble about Jacksonville, as I said TECHNICALLY. Maybe sometimes a printed line doesn't get interpreted as well as verbal communication does, but I was answering your question when I mentioned the coaching, and I also had 03 in mind when I said some might disagree and be more accurate.

But if you wish we can have a food fight in the booster tent. :lol:
SU DOG

Postby 77SU » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 pm

SU DOG wrote:But if you wish we can have a food fight in the booster tent. :lol:

My money is on SU Dog, as long as the Cujettes aren’t enlisted by Cujo for backup.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:48 am

Riddle is definitely the better QB, IMO. But, it just really depends on what gameplan Mercer wants to use. If they want to hold on to ball, use alot of QB designed runs, play keep away from our offense like they did 2 years ago, Riley is the better Qb for that plan. Frankly, I think that is their best plan of attack. Irvin (#8) is a good talent and we need Harvey to play well against him. I think they will struggle to block us.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound