A Very Good Day for MBB

A Very Good Day for MBB

Postby sudog03 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 pm

We go on the road and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat at VMI, making our league record 5-8. Citadel goes to Macon and beats Mercer, leaving 3 teams behind us in 7th place at 3-9. A first round bye in the league tournament is ours to be had.
sudog03

Re: A Very Good Day for MBB

Postby Cujo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 pm

When I fell asleep on the sofa while watching the game with about 4 minutes left, Samford was closing the gap, but still down. When I woke up, there was more time on the clock than when I went to sleep and we were up by 7. I missed the heroics to get us to overtime, but was pleased with what I missed. We needed that win. We need that bye. This Samford team has the potential to beat anyone and lose to anyone. I noticed some of our fellow posters from other schools expressing sentiments like: “I can’t figure this Samford team out. They play with Furman and Wofford and today they are about to lose to VMI” (premature, but I understood the sentiment). We have glimpses, but we need consistency.

Yesterday was a good sign of a team wanting to win. At the end of the year, all anyone remembers is the record, and nobody remembers how many of those wins were close. The will to win and the ability to win are intangibles that set winners apart from the losers. Every team wants to win, every team competes, but some teams find a way. That intangible, call it chemistry or the will to win, is between the ears and in the heart. There are a lot of other things that go into it, but the difference in wins and losses is measured in tenths of inches and decimal points in the recipe that makes up the team.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm

I watched it on replay. The ESPN archive cuts off with 2 minutes left in overtime. VMI had just got a three to cut lead to four. They had a couple kids that were looking is from the three line. I was worried we'd blow it. Our come back was incredible. VMI turned the ball over on an inbounds play and Sharkey scooped, later it in and got fouled in just a couple of seconds. That sequence was huge. The look on their fans faces was priceless. I almost felt bad... almost.
big_dog1968

Postby Cujo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Do you think we can go 3-2 over our last 5 games to finish at 8-10? 4-1 would give us .500, which I think is very remote. 3 and 2 would be very optimistic. The schedule is UTC (H), Mercer (A), Cit (A), Furman (H) and Wofford (H). That’s not going to be easy.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 am

Cujo wrote:Do you think we can go 3-2 over our last 5 games to finish at 8-10? 4-1 would give us .500, which I think is very remote. 3 and 2 would be very optimistic. The schedule is UTC (H), Mercer (A), Cit (A), Furman (H) and Wofford (H). That’s not going to be easy.

With this team, the name of the game is, just win the next one. You've said, we've all said it at times, we can beat anybody and we can lose to anybody. I think with this year's team it's because we aren't deep and we have young players in key spots, as opposed to the old 'that's Samford' complaint. Let's just win the next game, then win another game, etc. I was encouraged that they looked like they were going to lose another game down the stretch but never succumbed to the other team's momentum. They just kept playing and chipping away. Also, because it's true that we can win or lose to anyone, I don't discount the finish as, it's just VMI. It was a difficult situation where everyone had keep the pressure on all the way to the end to have a chance to win and they did it and won. Great job.
big_dog1968

Postby big_dog1968 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 am

Two games now with no Logan Dye. What's going on with him?
big_dog1968

Return to The Dog Pound