Padgett Fired

Re: Padgett Fired

Postby sudog03 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 am

Personally, I think +.500 league record in year 3 (and I'm not using a year 0) is a very reasonable expectation. If Mark Prosser can do it in year 2 at WCU, surely we can at SU in year 3. Heck, anyone called that guy?
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 am

With all due respect, we don’t have 6 years. 3 at most. Nobody cares and a six year plan will mean, oh, more Samford pathetic basketball.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby 77SU » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Cujo wrote:I’m finding the coaching changes account less than reliable or confidence inspiring.

Just saw where this guy wrote yesterday we should be getting Pettway, who wants the job and is an excellent recruiter.

His contract at Bama runs until June 30, 2021, and is $325K.

Maybe we do have better options than I thought, but who knows?
77SU

Postby SU DOG » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Could do worse than hire the guy who is rated as the #1 recruiter in the nation.
SU DOG

Postby AP » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm

smalltownbulldog wrote:As usual, AP is right on the money.
Post more and teach teh Coooooj how to do it.
Cujo wrote:With all due respect, we don’t have 6 years. 3 at most. Nobody cares and a six year plan will mean, oh, more Samford pathetic basketball.
As usual, reading is hard. If you'd read the full post, you would have seen that we'd have better basketball than we've had in a decade built sustainably long before the end of the full six-year rebuild.
AP

Postby Cujo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm

I get bored after the first few words when I read your posts, AP. Sorry. I got 4 or 5 words in and just gave up.

Seriously, it shouldn't take 6 years. That sounds pretty and all that, but Samford's success is going to be coach driven unless we rebuild a lot more than just the basketball program, including Samford's attitude toward sports as whole. Let's just call it like it is. A 6 year basketball program building project is going to be built by who (or "whom")? Buck Brock? Andy Westmoreland? Martin Newton? Folks, if it was going to be built in 6 years, it would have been built by now. Wake up! AP is talking about replacing the administration at Samford. It isn't going to happen. So, hire a good coach who can win big in 3 years and enjoy it until he moves on and hope lightening strikes twice. Otherwise, y'all can jump on the sucker wagon and buy the b.s. about trusting the process and "next year" we will have the team. At Samford, next year never comes.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 am

Cujo wrote: At Samford, next year never comes.

And when it does come, our women's team makes it to the NCAAs, our baseball team is 13-2 and lo and behold, we are hit by a pandemic that ruins it all.

We have a hard enough time winning at SU and when we do win, we lose.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 am

“The ladies’ basketball team only won because the rest of the conference sucked”. O3
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Cujo wrote:“The ladies’ basketball team only won because the rest of the conference sucked”. O3

"Reading is hard" Cujo

My point is, the projects are completely different. Not just from a conference strength standpoint. When I watched Mike's teams play, it was fairly obvious that the talent level in the program had dropped and that the strategy was flawed. The talent level issue was mitigated by the conference dropping in strength and the addition of the Maryland transfer. And strategy wise, believe it or not, it actually helps to have your post player playing in, you know, the post and getting high % looks. But, when I watched Mike's teams, I very seldom questioned the effort put forth. His culture was right. His players played hard and put the team first. You could tell that. That's a credit to Mike and the players. Roles were adjusted this year and it never affected the teams effort.

When watching the men, you could tell the culture within the program wasn't right. Its seems we took this "players first" mentality that Kentucky uses, and it seems to have just led to an environment of entitlement and no real concern for the team. For example, a player bemoaning the fact on social media that he didn't make the 1st team all-conference team when he led the nation in TO's per game and spent most of time walking around on defense to the point that he was benched at times. He wasn't alone. Most of the time, the only time kids played hard was when the ball was in their hands. That's a reflection on the coach ultimately, but also to a degree, the kids. My point is the new coach is going to inherit a much more difficult situation than the women's coach did. Culture issues that may not be fully fixable without roster turnover, talent level on roster, and a really strong league.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

My reference to the Samford WBB Team had absolutely nothing to do with the strength, or lack of strength of the conference. I made my prediction after seeing them play way before conference play started. If you are talking about Ws and Ls then SoCon strength could be a factor, but that was not my point. This team certainly can be compared to the MBB Team if you are discussing the on-court product that you can observe. There are too many factors to discuss each, but in summation, it wasn't hard to see how those girls played together. That is directly linked to coaching. Now, whoever we hire can immediately correct this aspect of our Men's Program. Recruiting the talent to compete near the top is another issue, and I agree that time will be needed for that. However, 2 or 3 recruiting seasons and we will certainly have an idea of our new man's savvy in that area. The right hire can turn things around much more quickly than some think. IMO, that is not an optimistic statement, but a fact.
SU DOG

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound