Basketball Signees Update (3-9-11)

Basketball Signees Update (3-9-11)

Postby AP » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:19 am

Brandon Hayman: Led his team to the Elite 8 in Georgia before running into the buzzsaw that is Milton. (Milton has three seniors who have signed with Vanderbilt, tOSU, and Ga Tech; a JR committed to Auburn; and a JR who is probably one of the top 100 players in the country for 2012.) http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/highschool/headlines/Milton_pulls_away_in_2nd_quarter_117475103.html Before the loss to Milton, Mill Creek got the first two state tourney wins in school history. http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/mill-creek-defeats-roswell-858799.html

Connor Miller: Went off for 30 and 6 to close his team's perfect conference season. http://www.insideec.com/?p=4792 Regis earned a 1 seed in the state tournament, and had only one regular season loss. They lost in the regional finals. http://chippewa.com/dunnconnect/sports/local/article_f31fbad8-4906-11e0-8f49-001cc4c002e0.html Miller scored 31.

Devin McNeil: Central Park closed its season by winning the NACA tournament. It's a national tournament for private, Christian schools.
AP

Re: Basketball Signees Update (3-9-11)

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:28 am

We are on the verge.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby slawdog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 am

I have seen one of these kids play. Nothing really popped, I didn't even know I had seen him play until I read this. It seems like he has the potential to develop into a solid player. The question is can we help him reach that potential?

Disappointment in our Basketball team's talent level has been expressed by this board for at least three years now. Yet every year people get excited about our signings. It doesn't make sense for people to like a player in their first year and then suddeny the players get around to being upper classman and the same people are still upset with the talent level. If that is the case, which I think there is evidence to show, the real problem is player development. I dont believe we have seen a player reach their full potential in quite some time. If we have, then things are far worse than anyone is willing to admit. Those are my thoughts, I am interested to see if anyone else sees it differently.
slawdog

Postby styx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 am

Agree completely, slawdog. How many times have we heard "we are so close" or "THIS group of freshmen finally raises the bar". It's been said so many times, its almost embarrasing. Just as a reminder, we still don't have the inside presence we need to be a factor in the SoCon nor have we signed anyone to date that provides us the promise that we will one day have that presence. That's simply a fact.
styx

Postby big_dog1968 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:42 am

slawdog wrote:I have seen one of these kids play. Nothing really popped, I didn't even know I had seen him play until I read this. It seems like he has the potential to develop into a solid player. The question is can we help him reach that potential?

Disappointment in our Basketball team's talent level has been expressed by this board for at least three years now. Yet every year people get excited about our signings. It doesn't make sense for people to like a player in their first year and then suddeny the players get around to being upper classman and the same people are still upset with the talent level. If that is the case, which I think there is evidence to show, the real problem is player development. I dont believe we have seen a player reach their full potential in quite some time. If we have, then things are far worse than anyone is willing to admit. Those are my thoughts, I am interested to see if anyone else sees it differently.

What you said is close to how a lot of people see things, but for me with a slightly different take. People have felt that the guys leading our team the last few years while good, not enough, or with enough numbers, to compete in the SoCon. At the same time, there has been optimism in the last 2 - 3 classes, that we are turning the corner on recruiting. Next year's, juniors and below, represent the dividing line between the complaining and the hopefulness.
big_dog1968

Postby styx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:47 am

I just don't see it. I remember the days when the talk around the program was about how Matt Friday was going to be better than his brother and that Gaby Bermudez was a steal out of the state of Florida. Oh yeah, and that Josh Bedwell was going to light up the SoCon. All great kids, but all lacking the talent to truly challenge for conference championships.
styx

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 am

I"d say sophomores.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 am

styx wrote:I just don't see it. I remember the days when the talk around the program was about how Matt Friday was going to be better than his brother and that Gaby Bermudez was a steal out of the state of Florida. Oh yeah, and that Josh Bedwell was going to light up the SoCon. All great kids, but all lacking the talent to truly challenge for conference championships.

You can't see a difference in Wooten? He can be a first team all conference selection for us at guard if his game continues to develop. When he was on, he made defenses look downright silly, and this was his first year seeing any significant PT. He and Windler are just the first two to begin to emerge. Next year we'll see if the optimism in our recent recruiting efforts was justified, because guys we haven't seen much of yet, if at all, will have to contribute for the team.
big_dog1968

Postby big_dog1968 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 am

Cujo wrote:I"d say sophomores.

Barnes is a player I want to see step up. He and Wooten were two of the best rated recruits coming out of high school. Wooten has shown his pedigree on the court, but Barnes so far has not. He'll be RS sophomore next year, and we need him as a big man (6'10" 220) to step up and compete for PT with Friday.
big_dog1968

Postby styx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:29 pm

I would love to think the Wooten, Windler and Barnes would be the nucleus to build around. I remember a LOT of hoopla around Barnes on signing day (top shot blocker in GA, etc.) and less on Windler. Obviously, Windler has caught on quicker. Wooten is very good. Not sure about all-conference - there are a LOT of outstanding guards in the SoCon. Once again, on paper, this incoming group of freshmen look good.

Look, I'd love to see us get back to the glory days. I do tire of hearing every year that THIS is going to be the year we become competitive again (much less contend for a championship). I love the Princeton offense as well, but we simply must find the players to run it effectively. Jimmy hasn't all of a sudden forgotten how to coach. I'm just not sure he ever knew how to recruit. Martin will certainly evaluate all of this and, if Andy and Buck allow, make sure goals are in place and that those goals are met in a timely fashion.
styx

Next

Return to The Dog Pound