Add Jeff Capel to the list of those looking for a job

Re: Add Jeff Capel to the list of those looking for a job

Postby Gemofthehills » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

Murray and Morehead win the SOCON easily the last two years. OVC isnt below the SOCON in basketball.
Gemofthehills

Postby styx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Gemofthehills wrote:Murray and Morehead win the SOCON easily the last two years. OVC isnt below the SOCON in basketball.

I don't disagree. I was talking about the OVC we played in. Regardless, Samford basketball has been pretty bad for the past decade but it seems like most folks just want to make excuses and not hold anyone accountable for subpar performance. Gosh, I'm starting to sound like Butkuss! I'll also say the same holds true for football. At least they've tried different coaches. More than we can say for basketball.
styx

Postby Cubbie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Gem

You have a possible point in your post about Morehead and Murray winning the SoCon. Certainly not easy. Have you seen College of Charleston or Wofford? App and Western Carolina are much bigger than OVC teams. Night in and night out it is MUCH harder to play SoCon hoops than OVC hoops. Granted one of the easier nights in the past two years has been the Samford game. But the soCon is harder than the ovc.

In football it's NO comparison . Southern is exponentially harder
Cubbie

Postby Gemofthehills » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

The teams Samford had in the OVC would have won or been at the very top of the SOCON. You are try to compare with you present team vs your old teams. Any league would look tougher because your base has changed. I think you all are doing a disservice to your great OVC teams by now saying they played in an inferior league.

I would disagree that the SOCON is a better basketball league by any measure now or then.

I dont want to talk football but i will say the big difference is the coaching not the players. i.e. JSU V Wofford, but we would be happy to schedule a SOCON team from B'ham to compare.
Gemofthehills

Postby styx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Gemofthehills wrote:The teams Samford had in the OVC would have won or been at the very top of the SOCON. You are try to compare with you present team vs your old teams. Any league would look tougher because your base has changed. I think you all are doing a disservice to your great OVC teams by now saying they played in an inferior league.

I would disagree that the SOCON is a better basketball league by any measure now or then.

I dont want to talk football but i will say the big difference is the coaching not the players. i.e. JSU V Wofford, but we would be happy to schedule a SOCON team from B'ham to compare.

No way would the Samford teams that were in the OVC be at the top of the SoCon. Outside of one 20 win season, Samford was (as they have been for over a decade now) bad to mediocre at best.
styx

Postby AP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:55 pm

styx wrote:
Gemofthehills wrote:Murray and Morehead win the SOCON easily the last two years. OVC isnt below the SOCON in basketball.
I don't disagree.
AP

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound