FOOTBALL SCRIMMAGE 4/9/11

FOOTBALL SCRIMMAGE 4/9/11

Postby SU DOG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 pm

I know I'll be called the "kool-aid man" for my optimism. So be it. After all, I can't blame anyone for being cautious and even pessimistic because of the past disappointments we have encountered. Anyone in this area, however, please go see the Wed nite scrimmage and you will see the BIG difference I refer to. I do NOT see one phase of this team that I think hasn't improved from last year - with the possible exception of punting - and that remains to be seen. The overall speed is so much better on BOTH sides of the ball, that I can't begin to tell you. The offense has a rhyme and reason, and the blocking is noticeably much better. Can you believe that we sometimes now throw the ball over the middle? :o That's right DOWN FIELD passes - what a novel idea!!! :D There is now a POWER running game to go with the speed guys like Fabian Truss and others. I've said it before and now again that Jonathan Sillers is a LOAD.
The size and quickness of our front 4 on defense is going to catch some conference opponents off-guard IMO.

More than anything else, however, the BIG difference now is C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G. Practices are SO much different. You can see much more teaching and learning going on, and these kids ARE responding with effort and enthusiasm that simply has NOT previously been there. We have a GREAT staff now, and I sincerely believe that this team is going to be the surprise of the SoCon.

This kool-aid sure does taste GOOD. Anyone else want to join me in the toast? :D
SU DOG

Re: FOOTBALL SCRIMMAGE 4/9/11

Postby Butkuss » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:45 pm

My glass is raised SU DOG. I am so gald you took time to check out our minor sport at Samford. ;) I bet this thread gets 5 views becuase there is no mention of Basketball, No Show Newton, Tillette, Mamma, trains or getting drunk.
Butkuss

Postby SU DOG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Our new A.D WAS AT THE SCRIMMAGE!!
SU DOG

Postby Butkuss » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:04 am

Bout time. Will he be at work Monday?
Butkuss

Postby 77SU » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 am

Butkuss wrote:Bout time. Will he be at work Monday?

From the official web site's report of this morning's scrimmage, http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/m- ... 11aaa.html,

Samford's new director of athletics Martin Newton, who will begin his duties on Monday, was in attendance at the scrimmage.

"You couldn't have asked for a better day," Newton said. "The weather is unbelievable, and we have people in the stands. I cannot wait (to get started), it's going to be exciting."

Views are over 20 and climbing.
77SU

Postby Smurf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 am

Butkuss, Newton is a Samford graduate, a former SU athlete, and now the Samford AD. Coming from a Samford grad here, lay off the guy. He is one of us. You don't like the guy. He'll never cut it for you. We get it. Move on.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby big_dog1968 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:18 am

Butkuss wrote:My glass is raised SU DOG. I am so gald you took time to check out our minor sport at Samford. ;) I bet this thread gets 5 views becuase there is no mention of Basketball, No Show Newton, Tillette, Mamma, trains or getting drunk.
You're funny Butkuss. You can take even the most positive news about football and convert it into a rant about basketball and Jimmy Tillete! If only that skill could be somehow monetized...you'd be rich beyond belief!!! :lol: :lol:
big_dog1968

Postby Butkuss » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 am

Smurf I don't even know the man. How could I not like him ? I have to meet him before I can make an honest statement. All I have said is that he has a history that isn't impressive with Nike and Cal. Don't think I am in a minority with those thoughts. Forgive me for thinking. I have no idea how many times I have said I wanted him to be successful and what someone who knows him has said about him. We have to get him to work before anyone can find out what he is about. I personally don't want CM Newton advising our AD but it is what it is.
Butkuss

Postby sudog03 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:44 am

Much better day for the defense today. Offense still has a long way to go, including finding a quarterback. Blocking on the edge by the WR was much better today. Thought we got a lot out of today, considering the lack of numbers, especially on th OL.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for the report, SU Dog. Sad that your post got hijacked. I guess cancer never sleeps.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound