Samford To Refuse Baptist Funding

Samford To Refuse Baptist Funding

Postby SU DOG » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Did I understand this to be the case? Is this extremely significant or not? I would like to see the comments of others about this video.
This comment about the 6:30 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v73jwntUMZU
SU DOG

Re: Samford To Refuse Baptist Funding

Postby SU DOG » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm

In other sources Dr. Westmoreland has stated that the need for this funding is greater in other areas(such as missions), than the need of Samford. Maybe it's just another case of benevolence on Samford's part.(?)
SU DOG

Postby AP » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 pm

The state convention doesn't have enough money to fix up BSUs on many campuses, maintain operations, fund missionaries, and other core functions. Other Alabama Baptist institutions, Judson specifically, need more ASBOM funding than Samford. It's a fact that our decision to forego future funds from the ASBOM will help in all those areas.

This obviously will change the relationship between Samford and the ASBOM. I don't view that as a negative for either party though--not necessarily.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm

To answer your question, yes, I feel it is a significant moment in the history of the relationship between Samford and the Alabama Baptist. As with most relationships when they go bad, there is blame on both sides, IMO. Samford should have been way more out in front of this issue than what they were and the Alabama Bapists should have been included way eariler than what they were on finding a workable solution. On the other side, the Alabama Baptists shouldn't have gone public basically threatening their funding to Samford. Once it got to that point, personally I don't blame Samford for making the decision they did, but it is sad to me that the relationship has gotten to this point.
sudog03

Postby AP » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Well in FY16, Samford had revenues, gains, and other support of $166,275,850 (taken from the annual report). Somewhere between $2.5M and $4M was from the state convention. I can't remember the number offhand. So, yes, it matters, but it's not outcome-determinative of our future.

Yesterday marks the third voluntary reduction Samford has made since 2008, and the last time was in '14. http://www.bpnews.net/43751/ala-baptists-affirm-bfm-2000 After Samford has taken one for the team several times, the State convention didn't reciprocate with any loyalty or understanding on this issue. Some folks over there still think it's 1980 and they can call all the shots, even though they don't make significant contributions. They want things to be one way, but they another way.

Questions for 03:

(1) You sound pretty sure that there weren't relevant folks looped in early on the Samford Together student group issue? You sure about that?
(2) Even if they weren't, student discussion groups don't seem like they ought to be the purview of the ASBOM. Did we loop them in on Young Americans for Freedom (for example)?
(3) What would "a workable solution" have looked like under the circumstances?

I'll hang up and listen.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 pm

One, I meant significant as it relates to the relationship of Samford and the Alabama Bapists, not Samford in itself. Two, there were no committees formed or any other public efforts to cooperate on the issue until it had already passed faculty approval. Three, I don't sit on the board of Samford or the Alabama Bapists, so I can't really answer to what each would feel a workable solution would be. I would have just liked to have seen more cooperation from both sides than what appeared to have occurred.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:23 am

One of the main things that I think was unfortunate, was the Alabama Baptist leadership threatening to cut off the funds to Samford if this situation didn't go the way they wanted. Dr. Westmoreland was probably incensed(just my guess) by this threat. I don't think this man is the type you want to threaten.
SU DOG

Postby 77SU » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 am

This day has been in the works since the time Tom Corts realized it was something that was going to happen down the road. Remember when the Alabama State Convention wanted to name all trustees? He was responsible for Samford naming two-thirds of the Board and the state only naming one-third. Another piece of the puzzle came back when Tennessee Baptists sued Belmont for over $50M when Belmont separated themselves from their convention. At that point SU made certain the Alabama Baptist contribution did not go to operations/building/maintenance. The money was basically used for scholarships, so if Alabama Baptists decided to defund, then the impact was on student scholarships. Read something today about a previous threat by the state convention threatened to decrease their allotment by $1.5M, but when SU stated they could save the $5M in preacher-kid scholarships, the threat from the convention went away. For reference sake, the state convention was providing on the order of $6M back during Corts' tenure.

Yes, the loss will be significant, but many alums seem ready to make up for the decrease and others feel that contributions may even increase because the strings from the ABSOM have been cut. Case in point, other schools such as Mercer, Belmont, Wake Forest, Furman, and others have not missed a beat and have actually gone beyond where they were.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 am

I would agree. Once that threat was made, Samford needed to make a stand.
sudog03

Postby big_dog1968 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Except, does anyone really consider Furman a Christian University anymore? Vanderbilt used to be Christian University. Is Samford going to become another formerly Christian University? Once they start down the liners path they never ever seen to come back. My son will be there this Fall. As a parent, that is my concern.
big_dog1968

Next

Return to The Dog Pound