Samford To Refuse Baptist Funding

Re: Samford To Refuse Baptist Funding

Postby SU DOG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:52 pm

I really don't think you have reason for concern big dog. I don't even think Dr. Westmoreland nor the BOT wants to claim an actual total split with the State Baptists. Also, I don't think that any of us want to see the pendulum swing too far in the other direction. The core values of Samford, IMO, will remain basically unchanged for a very long time.

Here is what is hard for me to understand. A pillar of Southern Baptists is to allow autonomy of the churches. Believe me, there are huge differences in the covenants of different Baptist churches. Why not some autonomy for Samford University? It seems that the state leaders would trust the leadership of Dr. Westmoreland more than their actions have shown. To have offered a gentle opinion would have been one thing, but to publicly issue funding threats is quite another. I wonder if our state Baptists leaders thought this thing through before they overreacted? Apparently the history of so many other university splits was a lesson they failed to learn.

Maybe, however, lines are still open between both entities.
SU DOG

Postby hotdiggitydog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:13 am

I have a little different take. I think the state convention was also somewhat caught in the middle. I'm sure they were concerned about some of the churches withholding funding from state causes if they didn't take a 'firm' stand. In that respect I think both the Samford administration and the state convention were forced to deal with a hot button issue that both would probably just as soon go away. I have no special inside knowledge...just my guess.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog

Postby AP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 am

Methuselah is right two posts up, BigDog.
AP

Postby SU DOG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Wait.....did AP just call me Methuselah? :o
SU DOG

Postby AP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:27 pm

SU DOG wrote:Wait.....did AP just call me Methuselah? :o
Cujo told me that was going to be your new handle.
AP

Postby FuFan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 am

big_dog1968 wrote:Except, does anyone really consider Furman a Christian University anymore? Vanderbilt used to be Christian University. Is Samford going to become another formerly Christian University? Once they start down the liners path they never ever seen to come back. My son will be there this Fall. As a parent, that is my concern.

Excellent points. I love my school but things can creep in although it takes a while. I hope things go well for you.
FuFan

Postby Cujo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Westmoreland's video message, from a PR and fire extinguisher standpoint, was brilliant. A lot of ambiguous words and phrases, little meat, no morale/immoral stand, the name of Christ ambiguously invoked and no detail (and it was delivered mid-summer right around the distraction of Independence Day). The short answer, no club, no Baptist money, but "meaningful discussions" on an "important issue" (whatever that means). Can kicked down the road, media ignored it/no controversy/no story, 2 monkeys off Samford's back. From a substance standpoint, I have no idea what I think about it because it appears that Samford is handling Samford's business internally, not in public. I can respect that. It will be interesting, however, to see what Samford does, as opposed to what it says, in the coming months/years.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:10 am

Cujo wrote:Westmoreland's video message, from a PR and fire extinguisher standpoint, was brilliant. A lot of ambiguous words and phrases, little meat, no morale/immoral stand, the name of Christ ambiguously invoked and no detail (and it was delivered mid-summer right around the distraction of Independence Day). The short answer, no club, no Baptist money, but "meaningful discussions" on an "important issue" (whatever that means). Can kicked down the road, media ignored it/no controversy/no story, 2 monkeys off Samford's back. From a substance standpoint, I have no idea what I think about it because it appears that Samford is handling Samford's business internally, not in public. I can respect that. It will be interesting, however, to see what Samford does, as opposed to what it says, in the coming months/years.

Not just 'interesting', but important, to see what Samford does. Lots of great private schools out there. America doesn't need another. Not enough great, all in, Christian universities out there. America definitely needs more of those.
big_dog1968

Postby Cujo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Yes, it will be important. I agree, you either stand for something or you don't stand for anything. There is either absolute truth or there is no truth. There is either meaning, or everything is meaningless. If salt loses its saltiness . . . . it is no longer good for anything and is thrown out and trampled under foot.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby whoknows » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm

it was entirely political...

who in this room has ever created a video or facebook message to refuse funding? nobody then he went on to mention to rif with the lifestlye group on campus.

im fine with refusing money if the state convention/ co-operative program needs some relief. but he was grandstanding on an issue.

libs gonna lib. thats the truth. i wont donate to them this year.... tired of living in an america where im the bad guy all the time. judging that mr. trump is our president and kid rock is about the be the senator from michigan; i'd say im not alone.
whoknows

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound