SoCon Team Question #3

SoCon Team Question #3

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 pm

The team in question lost some great WRs last year, which may account for the fact that Mercer was recently selected as having the #1 Wide Receiver Unit in the SoCon for this year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is which team has the following?

A two time all conference WR who had just under 900 yards and 9 TDs last year. This Jr. WR is even mentioned in some circles as being a possible FCS AA candidate this season, and has reportedly reached the 4.3 forty speed in workouts.

A 6-1 Jr. who had 8 catches and a touchdown in a game last season against a SEC opponent. 8-) He was a former 1st team All-State WR out of high school in Georgia.

A RS-Fr. who is listed at 6-4, 210 pounds :shock: who was also a 1st team All-State in Georgia. The AJC even said he was the #2 WR in the entire state.

A Soph. this 6-1 WR was All-SoCon last year. Coming out of HS, he had at least four SEC offers, :o and was a consensus 3*** player.

A RS-Soph. this WR had 7 catches for 71 yards as a back-up last year. He showed signs of outstanding talent after transferring from a FBS program.

A 6-3, 200 pounds Soph. this WR saw action in 10 games. As a high school player, he was the POY in his state capital city and his 225 receptions is 5th in state history.

This is only a half-dozen of the 17 WRs on this team's roster. As you can see, there is exceptional size and talent. Regardless of the pre-season pick of Mercer being the team with the best group :lol: :lol: :lol: this team, and not Mercer, actually has the best wide receivers in the SoCon for 2017.
SU DOG
 
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby Cujo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 pm

I didn't realize that UTC had that many receivers coming back from last year.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo
 
Posts: 8708
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 am

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Cujo wrote:I didn't realize that UTC had that many receivers coming back from last year.


YOU ARE CORRECT SIR111 They don't. They lost their 2 top receivers in Xavier Borishade(47 grabs) and C J Board(46rec). These guys were good I will admit, but of the EIGHT WRs listed on their 2017 roster, only two had double digit catches last season. Alphonso Stewart had 30 and James Stovall had 25. As far as I know there are NO all conference mentions on any UTC WRs.

So, if your answer to this thought provoking question is UTC, then I have to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SU DOG
 
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby Cujo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 pm

These are tough questions, SU Dog. I'm having a hard time figuring out which teams you are referencing in this Q&A series.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo
 
Posts: 8708
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 am

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Cujo wrote:These are tough questions, SU Dog. I'm having a hard time figuring out which teams you are referencing in this Q&A series.


I understand cujo. Maybe SoCon Team Question #4, whenever it is posted, will help you somewhat.
SU DOG
 
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby FUBeAR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 am

SU DOG wrote:The team in question lost some great WRs last year, which may account for the fact that Mercer was recently selected as having the #1 Wide Receiver Unit in the SoCon for this year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is which team has the following?

A two time all conference WR who had just under 900 yards and 9 TDs last year. This Jr. WR is even mentioned in some circles as being a possible FCS AA candidate this season, and has reportedly reached the 4.3 forty speed in workouts.

A 6-1 Jr. who had 8 catches and a touchdown in a game last season against a SEC opponent. 8-) He was a former 1st team All-State WR out of high school in Georgia.

A RS-Fr. who is listed at 6-4, 210 pounds :shock: who was also a 1st team All-State in Georgia. The AJC even said he was the #2 WR in the entire state.

A Soph. this 6-1 WR was All-SoCon last year. Coming out of HS, he had at least four SEC offers, :o and was a consensus 3*** player.

A RS-Soph. this WR had 7 catches for 71 yards as a back-up last year. He showed signs of outstanding talent after transferring from a FBS program.

A 6-3, 200 pounds Soph. this WR saw action in 10 games. As a high school player, he was the POY in his state capital city and his 225 receptions is 5th in state history.

This is only a half-dozen of the 17 WRs on this team's roster. As you can see, there is exceptional size and talent. Regardless of the pre-season pick of Mercer being the team with the best group :lol: :lol: :lol: this team, and not Mercer, actually has the best wide receivers in the SoCon for 2017.



I believe FBGP said Mercer has the best Receiving group in the SoCon. You added the "Wide" qualifier, if I'm not mistaken. And, if I recall correctly, Emory Hunt called out Mercer TE, Sam Walker, as he was discussing his selection.

No question that the HomewoodHounds have some very talented Wide Receivers, but if I'm a D.C. looking at covering a couple of 6-2+ outside guys that go get the ball like Marquise Irvin & Avery Ward, with an amazing burner (when healthy) slot guy like Chandler Curtis (see this, if you've forgotten - https://youtu.be/pA-RUuFbznU), complemented by big & fast 6-4 TE's/H-Backs Sam Walker and/or Chris Ellington, and/or even the fleet & elusive Tee Mitchell (yes, he's back) running the seam route ( https://youtu.be/JNQrAgc6Aqc @0:32 ) or catching a screen pass and breaking off a 74 yd TD as he did vs. Chatt's speedy D...I'm looking at matchup problems & an awful lot of quality SoCon Receiving experience as, I believe all of those mentioned, except perhaps Ellington, has been named to at least 1 All SoCon Team at some point in their careers.

But don't get me wrong, I am impressed by all those HS accolades & stats you cited among Sammy's WR crew :twisted:
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
Image
User avatar
FUBeAR
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 am

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby SAM1014 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Hopefully this year we decide to cover TE's and H-Backs instead of letting them run wild. We like boosting the stats of other teams TEs.
SAM1014
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby SU DOG » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 am

Yes, the ranking did include TE, and Sam Walker is a very good one. However, I felt that he is neutralized by Samford's 6-4 TE Kevin Marion. Marion and Walker have very similar backgrounds as far as accolades(both 2** players) are concerned. The conference knows more about Walker, as Marion played behind 5th year man and Charles Williams Jersey Award winner, Devon Schmitt. It is my opinion that Walker and Marion are about equal, therefore it goes back to the WRs, and, IMO, Samford > Mercer.

BTW, here is how the Macon paper sees the SoCon this year:

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/mer ... 73249.html
SU DOG
 
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby FUBeAR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:22 am

SU DOG wrote:Yes, the ranking did include TE, and Sam Walker is a very good one. However, I felt that he is neutralized by Samford's 6-4 TE Kevin Marion. Marion and Walker have very similar backgrounds as far as accolades(both 2** players) are concerned. The conference knows more about Walker, as Marion played behind 5th year man and Charles Williams Jersey Award winner, Devon Schmitt. It is my opinion that Walker and Marion are about equal, therefore it goes back to the WRs, and, IMO, Samford > Mercer.

BTW, here is how the Macon paper sees the SoCon this year:

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/mer ... 73249.html


Yeah, Daniel Shirley of The Macon Telegraph, who really does an excellent job of covering Mercer Football, does seem to have a bit of a man-crush on Macon-native, Coach Hatcher; but that's between the 2 of them. I just try to look away and overlook that flaw in his character.

Speaking of flaws..."Walker and Marion are about equal" .... 4x is not "equal" (see below)

GP NO YDS AVG TD Long AVG/G
8 Irvin, Marquise 11 65 766 11.78 7 83 69.64
84 Ward, Avery 7 30 416 13.87 2 47 59.43
13 Curtis, Chandler. 8 31 386 12.45 6 55 48.25
87 Walker, Sam 10 24 206 8.58 3 22 20.60

88 Marion, Kevin 8 6 45 7.50 0 20 5.6

...and if you want to look at it in a purely pre-season-ish kinda way, consider these 2 factual statements...

1) Mercer returns their top 4 Receivers from 2016, representing 92 games of COLLEGE Football experience and who, last season, accounted for 150 catches, 1,774 yards, 18 TD's, and just shy of 200 Receiving YDS/game in an Offense which passed only 44% of the time.

2) Samford returns 1 of their top 4 Receivers from 2016, representing 22 games of COLLEGE Football experience and who, last season, accounted for 70 catches, 896 yards, 9 TD's, and just over 80 YDS/game in an Offense which passed 63% of the time.

...looking at that disparity, I think it would be pretty hard for any objective pre-season prognosticator to rank the Bullpups' returning Receiving unit ahead of the Bears' ...don't you?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
Image
User avatar
FUBeAR
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 am

Re: SoCon Team Question #3

Postby samfordcircle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm

FUBeAR wrote:
Yeah, Daniel Shirley of The Macon Telegraph, who really does an excellent job of covering Mercer Football, does seem to have a bit of a man-crush on Macon-native, Coach Hatcher; but that's between the 2 of them. I just try to look away and overlook that flaw in his character.

Speaking of flaws..."Walker and Marion are about equal" .... 4x is not "equal" (see below)

GP NO YDS AVG TD Long AVG/G
8 Irvin, Marquise 11 65 766 11.78 7 83 69.64
84 Ward, Avery 7 30 416 13.87 2 47 59.43
13 Curtis, Chandler. 8 31 386 12.45 6 55 48.25
87 Walker, Sam 10 24 206 8.58 3 22 20.60

88 Marion, Kevin 8 6 45 7.50 0 20 5.6

...and if you want to look at it in a purely pre-season-ish kinda way, consider these 2 factual statements...

1) Mercer returns their top 4 Receivers from 2016, representing 92 games of COLLEGE Football experience and who, last season, accounted for 150 catches, 1,774 yards, 18 TD's, and just shy of 200 Receiving YDS/game in an Offense which passed only 44% of the time.

2) Samford returns 1 of their top 4 Receivers from 2016, representing 22 games of COLLEGE Football experience and who, last season, accounted for 70 catches, 896 yards, 9 TD's, and just over 80 YDS/game in an Offense which passed 63% of the time.

...looking at that disparity, I think it would be pretty hard for any objective pre-season prognosticator to rank the Bullpups' returning Receiving unit ahead of the Bears' ...don't you?


You make a great point. I have to agree, Mercer has a great core group. We will have to have a more balanced in our attack this year.

I do think the receiver talent is gonna be surprising to a lot folks based on their experience. Plus you have to have a quarterback to get them the ball. I think we have depth in that position as well. I look for strong numbers by both teams this year.
User avatar
samfordcircle
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:28 am

Next

Return to The Dog Pound

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron