When Will The Samford Attitude Change?

When Will The Samford Attitude Change?

Postby SU DOG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Some will totally disagree with what I'm about to say, and that is fine. It is, however, what I'm feeling right now in light of a drastic disappointment yesterday. Maybe I'll see things a little differently after this sting subsides.

I actually think we have some people in our administration who are completely satisfied, and maybe even happy with the way the season turned out. Before you jump on me about players, prospects, or whomever might read this Board, let me emphasize that most schools have their own version of these "bean counters." I'm not very far off base here when I say that I am aware(from personal experiences) of 3 issues that these individuals cringe at the thought of. First, don't even ask for a time frame about any stadium upgrades - you'll either get a dozen different answers or some vague promise that efforts are being made to raise money. I know that has to be done, but there are some things that other schools have done to expedite their projects that I don't see being done here. Another is having a BYE, which forces you to host a Playoff Game. This would immediately cause the university to cough up about $8,000 for the housing of the NCAA replay equipment they, the NCAA, would provide. Can't help but think that certain people were HAPPY to see that not be the scenario. Another is the prospect of facing JSU. YES, there were some terrible atrocities that occurred in the past, but that was long ago and under a different coach. From all I've seen, Coach Grass is completely different, is a good Christian man, and has much higher standards.
We can(or could) play JSU in the Kickoff Classic, with all that exposure, extra practice time, and a chance to gain more respect around this state than we currently have. IF this game happens, I will gladly eat my crow, but I'm predicting it will NOT. What I am told is we probably decline because we play FSU and KSU, and adding this JSU game would be taking too big of a chance for our players to be beaten up before conference games start. To me that is a BIG copout. Winning against JSU, or maybe even from a close game, the SOS factor could possibly be a plus for us towards a Playoff possibility early on. If our program has no hope of ever reaching the next level of WINNING some Playoff games, then I could see the rationale. Some of us hope differently, however. I imagine though that we will respectfully decline, and keep the same (IMO) "we're not good enough" attitude. Then we're expected to be happy with a winning season, forget hosting games, and don't rock any of these Samford Boats with our seemingly unrealistic hopes. :evil:
Last edited by SU DOG on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SU DOG

Re: When Will The Samford Attitude Change?

Postby SU DOG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Addendum:

I am very proud of the effort many of our kids gave this year, and for winning 8 games. My above post just actually reflects my desire for them to get even more support.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I don’t see the need to add JSU. I disagree with you on that front. I don’t want to play a D2 team, however.

I don’t really want to play a game in Montgomery either. It didn’t do anything to help UTC or JSU in my opinion.

If we will inevitably play JSU in the playoffs, then why schedule them. Host them for a playoff game. 5,000 fans at $20 a pop is $100,000, plus concessions. Take the risk. Heck, host it at Regions field or whatever it is called where the Barons play with the city of Bhm.

Re the stadium, all we have to do it add seats angled toward the endzones on the Home side. If you look at the seats at KSU, all they are really is glorified permanent bleachers. We are not talking cement here. We don’t have to do anything with the existing seats or press box. Put a concession area in the North endzone and maybe even a raised area with seats and tables for eating and watching. It doesn’t have to break the bank.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 pm

No, it isn't about Montgomery :lol: It isn't even that much about JSU. It is MORE about the attitude as my thread says. This would be a chance for national recognition, while competing against an instate team at an easy drive venue. Say what you want about the game, but it is widely watched by football hungry fans across the nation. It would be about extra team practices, and a chance to make an early statement. I wonder what the players would think about playing in this one? Love to know that.

To get that home game vs JSU you mentioned cujo, we could never outbid them. If we get a BYE above them, then we shouldn't be hesitant to play them in a game such as this one, should we? I'm not saying that we NEED JSU, just that this game possibility makes too much sense to me to not accept. I still think it looks too much like we have the "we're not good enough" attitude by refusing, IMO. I guess we can continue to disagree.

Also, if you have a better alternate stadium upgrade, why not talk to the powers that be? :)
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Nobody cares what I think.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Cujo wrote:Nobody cares what I think.
If it was true, you'd post less. You care what you think (obvs).
AP

Postby sudog03 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:54 pm

I think it's a very important question. Things I've seen our competition do in the last 5 years:

JSU host a playoff game on Iron Bowl Saturday during Thanksgiving Holidays
Youngstown St. host a playoff game on Michigan/Ohio St. Saturday during Thanksgiving Holidays
KSU host a playoff game DURING UGA/Ga. Tech during Thanksgiving Holidays
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 pm

AP wrote:

But I disagree with half the things I post. I think the other half is brilliant.
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Cujo wrote:
AP wrote:

But I disagree with half the things I post. I think the other half is brilliant.

Hmmm...Somehow I guess I must have missed half of your posts,
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Lol.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound