Samford vs JSU

Samford vs JSU

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Not football, but basketball today at 2PM.

This will be a huge test for our Bulldogs. We hold a long winning streak against these guys that goes back all the way to December of 2005. :shock:
Last year we managed a 4 point win at the PHC, but the Gamecocks went on to beat Belmont and advance to the Big Dance. They return much of their scoring and are currently 5-2, with a win at UTC. Their only losses were a late 3 point loss at Mississippi State, and a 5 point deficit at Buffalo. They will be a big favorite today.

TIDBITS
Cunningham vs Cunningham - they even have the same first name, but spelled slightly different. Christian Cunningham for JSU and Christen Cunningham for SAMFORD.
JSU's BIG 7 footer has really improved and is playing good BB. If Wyatt can't go for us, then we may have a problem guarding him.
Trolling the JSU Board, I read where their fans are saying that stomping Samford today might be a little therapy for their butt-hurting from yesterday.
I told a couple of guys on this Board long ago that, IMO, we probably had a better shot at beating JSU in football this year than in basketball. From what I saw yesterday, I still have the same opinion. They have their shot in basketball, but sadly we don't know WHEN we get our shot in football.
In case you catch any of the WBB game, or replay it - watch Iowa's Megan Gustafson. I've seen her on streaming and she is a joy to watch, if she isn't playing against you. :D
JSU game will be streamed on the OVC Digital Network.
GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: Samford vs JSU

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:41 pm

One other tidbit I will mention: Coach Grass of JSU and Coach Campbell of UCA were both on the University of South Alabama's list to replace Coach Joey Jones who retired at USA. Both JSU(#3) and UCA(#4) were heavy favorites to advance, but both teams lost to underdog football teams yesterday. A South AL jinx maybe? :lol:
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:47 pm

WBB game not on any streaming except Pay for View. :(
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Can't get the ovc broadcast to play. Glad we are out of that backward conference. I've wasted 10 minutes of my day on this. I'll have to just catch the end result on down the line.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SAM1014 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Score doesn’t look very good
SAM1014

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Cujo wrote:Can't get the ovc broadcast to play. Glad we are out of that backward conference. I've wasted 10 minutes of my day on this. I'll have to just catch the end result on down the line.

Perfect video here cujo. My buddy Mik Parris, who once tried to get on with the Samford broadcasts, does a great job announcing. Wonder what your problem is?

http://ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=6033&type=Live

Also the WBB team trails Iowa by 10 points at the half. That is actually impressive. Hope they can keep it respectable.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 pm

This is shameful honestly.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 pm

It was merciful that my ipad couldn't ever get the signal. This isn't panic, this is pure fact from what I've observed and reading the stat line (the stat line appears consistent with what I have witnessed in person and on video in the past). Sam. shot 33% JSU 62%. Sam had 18 turnovers and gave up 27 points off of turnovers. The defense we play is chaos (pretty much nonexistent). I can't even begin to suggest how we fix it other than hire a coach who can coach defense and who would have license to revamp it (or, I guess, get players who would otherwise go to Kentucky who are super athletic and long). The offense is dribble penetrate and attempt circus layup or kick it out for a three, which requires us to be better than our opponent on an individual basis. In my humble opinion, if you are giong to have success at Samford, you better have a plan that allows you to win from team basketball.

We do not value the basketball. We throw the ball around with reckless abandon often out of bounds in an unforced error situation. The HC is yelling and ranting and micromanaging and getting frustrated on the sidelines like a parent coaching a youth rec basketball game because his players are apparently not doing what he thinks he's coached them to do. Here is my problem with that--if they aren't getting it, it is because the are either being asked to do something they are incapable of doing (the scheme does not match the athleticism or skill set) or the coaches just aren't teaching well. I would expect at some point the coach to turn to his assistants and yell at them rather than the players, but that doesn't happen. I don't know what to make of that (although, I'm reminded of a famous and successful NFL coach telling a story about one of the best coaching lessons he learned as a young assistant coach at Army--he was yellling at a player who didn't do what the assistant thought he was supposed to do and the HC called the assistant over and told the young coach "the kid you are yelling at is a good kid and a good player who will do whatever you teach him. If he isn't getting it, it means you are not coaching him up properly." That coach credited that gentle dressing down as one of the pivotal moments in his coaching career.)

You can blame some of this on not having our starting center, but . . . this is the second straight year we have two walk ons backing up our center. . . how does that happen? It doesn't really explain the defensive problems either, as our center isn't the most defensive minded player when he is at 100%.

I like HCSP, but he's young and he's got a lot of learning to do. Maybe having an awful, if not embarrassing, start to this season (after predicting an NCAA birth and the greatest team in Samford history (a baseless claim, I might add--the teams with Rawlings and Saylers under Tillette would have taken this team to the woodshed and probably shot 90% against them doing it) might prompt some soul searching and maturation. I don't know, but the spin we put on last season doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about basketball. We put lipstick on our result last year like it was PR campaign which makes me think this problem might go a little higher up the chain. But, if basketball is going to be what we are emphasizing, then . . . we might need to do some soul searching in the athletic department. We have endured ("witnessed") the Bennie Seltzer experiment/debacle and almost complete destruction of our program. I'm not sure what we are witnessing now, but it looks like more amateur hour at levels that go beyond just the coaching staff. I fear that we are going to get into "we are on the verge, next year is the year" nonsense that has typified Samford athletics. There is time to right the ship this season, but it is going to require some soul searching and admissions that the way things are being done are not right, same maturation and maybe even some change is needed (seriously, we have a guy in a suit for every player on the team, including walk ons and redshirt). There is time for improvement, but if we are a top 4 SoCon team, heaven help the SoCon.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:50 am

That was really ugly on both ends. Especially defensively. Was looking for some improvement with the break between games. Didn't see any. Credit to JSU, they have a really good team.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Cujo wrote:Maybe having an awful, if not embarrassing, start to this season (after predicting an NCAA birth and the greatest team in Samford history (a baseless claim, I might add--the teams with Rawlings and Saylers under Tillette would have taken this team to the woodshed and probably shot 90% against them doing it) might prompt some soul searching and maturation.

There may be those who take issue with this type of comparison, but if you are going to talk the talk then you had better be able to walk the walk.

As a point of reference, we started a second string center against a young talented Alabama squad back then and still beat them by double digits in Tuscaloosa (Marc Salyers did not start and was a complete non-factor in that game). Minus our first string center for most of the season so far, we can't even stay on the floor with Horizon and OVC schools.

There is a lot of work to do that goes beyond merely the absence of Wyatt Walker.
Smurf

Return to The Dog Pound