Samford vs. Memphis

Re: Samford vs. Memphis

Postby Smurf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am

That was an incredibly difficult loss to swallow.

I saw an improved defensive performance by our guys, and that is encouraging, but did we ever just let one slip through our fingers tonight.
Smurf

Postby SAM1014 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 am

Man that was incredibly frustrating
SAM1014

Postby 77SU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 am

Obviously I'm the jinx. Checked the board and saw the good reviews, so brought it up on ESPN3 somewhere under 5 minutes left in the game, somewhere in the over 3 minute scoring drought. Then followed until the last turnover, foul, and the GW free throw by Memphis.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Unfortunately right now we are having to try and find success somewhere other than the scoreboard. Last night was definite progress, IMO. Even though we gave up a few easy baskets on second chance opportunities (we are really undersized at times, this is the area we miss Wyatt the most), we still only allowed them to shoot 41.5%, we are allowing 51.9% for the season. Just a much better approach for our personnel. We don't have the personnel to beat good teams trying to make it a full court game, we just don't. Can we beat the bottom 4 teams in the league and SWAC teams with it? Sure. But we can't beat quality opponents consistently with it. We were 3-10 against teams that finished above us in the league last season. And if we try and play the same style we did last season, well, we pretty much are the same team. If the approach I saw last night is implemented long term, I could still see us finish in the 3-5 spots in the league. If we try to play like we have prior to last night, I think 6th place is the ceiling. We have definitely over scheduled, especially with Wyatt hurt, but hopefully it's brought our deficiencies to the surface much earlier and better prepared us for conference play.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Up to this point I don't think Walker's absence ultimately affected the outcome of our games. However, had Walker played last night, it's a fairly safe bet to say that we would have been victorious. It's frustrating that we lost focus in the last 15 seconds by a) allowing Memphis to go coast to coast without as much as hindering dribble penetration, b) inbounding the ball at the worst possible spot on the floor (throwing it off an opponent's foot on the inbound pass would have been a better option with a five second count looming), and c) committing a foul on a made FG. As noted by others, defensively I saw improvement and for that I am encouraged, but we missed a golden opportunity for a confidence building win by allowing Memphis to score five points in about a 10 second span.

The Memphis announcers last night stated that Padgett said that they hoped to get Walker back by the start of conference play or sometime thereabout. If his return is going to be much later than the start of conference play, one has to wonder if a redshirt might be in order.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I thought we did some smart things strategy-wise last night. I agree with everything 03 said, including the progress. I really hate we lost. My angst is not for the fans, but for the players who really fought for 39:45 to get that win. The last :!5 seconds will hopefully be a learning experience. We thought we had the game after DDD's shot put us up four. You just can't let a team run the length of the floor and make an uncontested layup in less than 4 seconds. You have to have the play and the poise to get the ball in under your basket up 2 (that comes before having the poise to make the free throws). Kudos to Memphis. They didn't quit and they earned the win down the stretch. I feel better about our chances if we take this approach going forward, with or without Wyatt.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm

03 is, in the main, correct. The scheme you saw last night is a way we can play winning basketball. We know what we've got, and we know how to get better.

Also, spoiler alert: 3D is our best/most important player on the team. Even when Wyatt comes back. 3D has got to get two clicks better than he is right now--or at least more consistent--if we're going to be a top 4 team in the league.

I think we finish the non-conference schedule on a 3-1 run. I hope we can get Wyatt back, and he can play himself into game shape during January so he's full-tilt during February and March.
AP

Postby SU DOG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Another point to consider is the PT that Adams and Peters are getting. They are so much better now than last year, IMO. I think we are vastly underestimating the potential of this team for the conference run. Wyatt will certainly give us an inside presence that is desperately needed on both ends of the court. I agree that the full court press the whole game is a very bad idea. Fortunately the coaches seem to have also decided that, and are using some softer pressure at times instead. More teamwork was evident last night, and this needs to continue to improve. I thought that we basically played like just a bunch of individuals in some previous games.

This is a very talented team that has the potential to beat ANY team in this conference on a given night. I do wish, however, that the only PHC games we can see before Christmas weren't against Asbury and Thomas. However, you just never know what kind of surprises those Eagles and Night Hawks can have waiting for you. :lol:
SU DOG

Postby AP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm

We're not underestimating anything. They have potential. They need to produce.
AP

Postby Cujo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

AP wrote:We're not underestimating anything. They have potential. They need to produce.

Plus 1. SU Dog, don't foist your shortcomings on the rest of us.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound