Basketball Schedule

Re: Basketball Schedule

Postby BigDog99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Teams we have lost to this year are 43-12. Add Clemson to that & your 50-14. That’s a tough schedule no matter what but we have also played 7 games without preseason 1st team all-SoCon Center WW. 5 games without AP & 3 games without Sharkey. We need to play hard against Clemson & hope to be fully healthy going into conference. Hidden in this non-conference struggle is, Eric Adams has got better. Nolan has shown some good things. Hopefully that will help come Conference play.
BigDog99

Postby big_dog1968 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 am

BigDog99 wrote:Teams we have lost to this year are 43-12. Add Clemson to that & your 50-14. That’s a tough schedule no matter what but we have also played 7 games without preseason 1st team all-SoCon Center WW. 5 games without AP & 3 games without Sharkey. We need to play hard against Clemson & hope to be fully healthy going into conference. Hidden in this non-conference struggle is, Eric Adams has got better. Nolan has shown some good things. Hopefully that will help come Conference play.

I've mentioned Walker missing as part of why we have struggled and keep getting this weird response where people act like it shouldn't make such a big difference or he's not that great defensively, almost like meh. I think being without the guy who is considered the best big man in the SoCon, MAKES A DIFFERENCE. Not just in rebounding and scoring, but how about in terms of leadership? Bizarre how almost dismissive some have been of his absence. Weird. we need to be at full strength come conference time or we are in trouble. We get him back and he's good, we'll be just fine. That's my prediction. Memphis game was a heart breaker. If we have our best big man for that game, we win period. Let's get him well and back. That's what this team needs.
big_dog1968

Postby AP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:46 am

We win Memphis if Wyatt plays. Unless Wyatt's really improved defensively, he's not a lockdown defender (though he can help because he's a good player). He's one of the best offensive bigs in the SoCon--maybe the best. All of those things can be true at the same time.
AP

Postby Smurf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

It's not the losses as much as the fact that we were not competitive. With Walker we probably beat SELA and certainly Memphis, but I don't think he would have swung the pendulum so far the other way that we overcome an Arkansas loss by 39, 19 point losses to Valpo, LSU, and Loyola-Chicago, and a 31 point loss to JSU. I think we are 4-5 even with Walker in the lineup, which would be equally as disappointing to me as being 2-7 without him. Yes, we have played some good teams, but we won 20 last year and returned almost everyone. Given that fact, I don't think we need to undersell the program for not playing well even against quality so called mid-majors. We too were supposed to be a quality mid-major.

And yes, while Walker is a solid solid player for us, defense is not his forte. He struggles against quick interior players.

If there is a WAR (Wins Above Replacement) for college basketball like there is for baseball I would love to see it. It would be an interesting analysis.
Smurf

Postby big_dog1968 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Smurf wrote:It's not the losses as much as the fact that we were not competitive. With Walker we probably beat SELA and certainly Memphis, but I don't think he would have swung the pendulum so far the other way that we overcome an Arkansas loss by 39, 19 point losses to Valpo, LSU, and Loyola-Chicago, and a 31 point loss to JSU. I think we are 4-5 even with Walker in the lineup, which would be equally as disappointing to me as being 2-7 without him. Yes, we have played some good teams, but we won 20 last year and returned almost everyone. Given that fact, I don't think we need to undersell the program for not playing well even against quality so called mid-majors. We too were supposed to be a quality mid-major.

And yes, while Walker is a solid solid player for us, defense is not his forte. He struggles against quick interior players.

If there is a WAR (Wins Above Replacement) for college basketball like there is for baseball I would love to see it. It would be an interesting analysis.

You're assuming that we'd get down like that regardless. Also even if those games weren't very much more comment, cutting our OOC loses in half, would make me, and I suspect most of us feel 50% less disappointment and 60% less anxiety. :)
big_dog1968

Postby Smurf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Sure, it's all speculative. As vital as Walker is, his first name is is not Kenny or Kemba. I just don't think his presence means a 20-30 point differential. Again, admittedly it is all speculative.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Our style of play relative to our talent/skill is/was the biggest part of my complaint. It isn’t about the wins and losses at this point. If we play what has been our style with our talent in conference play, we repeat 8-10 or 9-9 in conference play at best with Walker. What you have described as weird criticism, is what prompted the change in style for our last game. It may have been weird to you, but it was right. Our style plus our talent equals blowouts by good (not great, good) teams. If we play our style against us, and our alter ego plays what we played against Memphis, Memphis Samford wins by double digits every time.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm

And Kudos to the coaches for making the change.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound