HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Postby samfordcircle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Wishing everyone a Happy and Blessed 2018!! Ready for 2017 to be in the rear-view mirror. On to bigger and better things in 2018!!!
samfordcircle

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Postby SU DOG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Same here. Every year at this time I think of a song by Dan Fogelberg, a great musician who died way too early. Dan was stricken with cancer and passed in 1997 at the age of 56. This song recounts an incident that actually happened in Peoria Illinois in 1980. The grocery store where it happened is still in business there. Why it appeals to me, I'm not sure, because I have no similar occurrence. I think it just causes me to reflect on younger days of long ago. If you are not familiar with this tune(which climbed to top 10) listen for a treat. If you do know this tune, enjoy it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZ2VHSkVYY
SU DOG

Postby Two Rings » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 pm

That is still a favorite Christmas Song, whether it's considered a Christmas Song or not, to this day. The story happened in 1975, and the woman's name is Jill Anderson. There's a line in the song that states, "she would've liked to of said she loved the man but she didn't want to lie." When asked whether it was true or not she stated, "that's too personal." Give Dan Fogelberg credit he didn't release the song until after Ms. or Mrs. Anderson was already divorced from, "said husband."
S.U. Dog another song was released at the same time in 1980 and like "Auld Lang Syne" always makes me think of Christmas my sophomore year in high school and that's Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" off of his River album. It was also his first number 1 which escapes me how Born to Run wasn't.
Two Rings

Postby Smurf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 pm

"Born to Run" is such a good album that the title track might not even be the second best song on the album.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby AP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Born To Run tracks power ranking: (1) Born to Run, (2) Thunder Road, (3) Jungleland. Come at me.
AP

Postby Two Rings » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Thursday, December 6, 1984 I saw the Born In The U.S.A. tour at the B.J.C.C and witnessed all 3 songs. It was a 4 1/2 hour show no opening act. They played for 2 hours 30 minute intermission then the final 2 hours. He opened with Born In The U.S.A. and of course his encore was Born To Run followed by a MoTown/Beatles medley. Of course with the close proximity to Christmas he closed with, you guessed it, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. Clarence Clemons dominated that song.
In closing if you've never seen him sing The River live in concert you're really missing out. All lights turned off, him sitting on the edge of the stage with a single spot light on him. Man can he wail on a harmonica.
Two Rings

Postby Cujo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 am

I was at that concert, Two Rings. By the way, I was not with Two Rings--I was with a young lady who would become Mrs. Cujo three years and two weeks later. She thereafter became the mother of my three children. Now, her image, like the Madonna, can be discerned on the wall in the Bulldog club if you look close enough. She is a saint for putting up with me.

I have no other comment on this thread or SU Dog's terrible taste in music.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 am

Actually we are ALL saints for putting up with YOU.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm

AP wrote:Born To Run tracks power ranking: (1) Born to Run, (2) Thunder Road, (3) Jungleland. Come at me.

Honestly I would put "Born to Run" second behind "Thunder Road", but that is splitting hairs really. There truly isn't a bad song on that album.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 pm

SU DOG wrote:Actually we are ALL saints for putting up with YOU.

I know many of you and "saint" isn't the word that comes to mind when I think of y'all.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound