Today' Game - Don't Be Fooled.....

Re: Today' Game - Don't Be Fooled.....

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 pm

When your strategy is to sit 15% of your scholarships on transfers, it doesn't take many injury issues for depth to be a problem. I can see the pros of the approach, but there is also that clear downside.

Wyatt or not, CC or not. We wouldn't be competing for the championship with our current defensive approach/ability, IMO. We are actually getting pretty good production out of Eric Adams. I let myself get sucked in by a good run in the tournament and the hype surrounding incoming players.

We just got beat by a team that had lost 12 straight league games. Game before we got beat by a team without it's best player. A team that does that can't claim 1-2 players would have them in competition for a championship.

Hope Fitzgerald can defend.
sudog03

Postby BigDog99 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:05 pm

03 is the defense that bad or is rebounding terrible. We held Furman to 44% & Chattanooga to 43%. But got dominated on the boards. Which has happened a lot this year. The best rebounder in the league may have helped that. I’m not saying we would be undefeated in league but in all of our losses in league this year we have been beaten badly on the boards. Wyatt walker would have helped in that area. He also gives you a post presence on the other end where your whole offense doesn’t have to be based around dribble penetration. We are -11.4 on the glass in our 5 conference losses. In the Wofford, Chattanooga, & Furman games a guy that averaged 10 rebounds last year could have really helped. Those games could have been won with better rebounding not great rebounding just better rebounding.
BigDog99

Postby Smurf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Adams was a late bloomer, but he has produced well for us all things considered. He's not in his natural position, but even with a healthy roster he would have contributed solid minutes off the bench I believe. It's a shame he doesn't have another year left.

To me the loss of Cunningham isn't all that impactful given that Coleman has played really really well and is in my opinion a better overall player than Cunningham.

Undoubtedly Walker's absence was a real loss for us, but this team does have noticeable defensive deficiencies well outside the paint. And while Walker give us an offensive and rebounding presence inside, it is worth noting too that he is not exactly a stellar defender in the post.

Also, I don't think our newcomers (outside of Coleman) stepped up as I had hoped. Given the injuries we have suffered, I was hoping we might see some real flashes from some of our new guys.

Lastly, Alex Thompson has played well for us lately.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 pm

BigDog99 wrote:03 is the defense that bad or is rebounding terrible.

I think a bad defense sets up a poor rebounding team. We have to play a ton of zone, which makes rebounding difficult in itself. That's compounded by at times, a complete inability to stop the ball on the wings, which means help has to come over, and leaves you completely out of position for rebounding. Even with Wyatt last year we had a negative rebounding margin in league games.
sudog03

Postby sudog03 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 am

BigDog99 wrote:03 is the defense that bad

64% allowed tonight. Yes, the defense is that bad.
sudog03

Postby AP » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Part of that is that G was just ON. Part of them getting ON was getting so many looks with space. We've got to do a better job getting into the perimeter shooters' feet and moving them off their spots. We don't have enough guard size to contest lots of looks, so we have to rotate and close out quicker and better.
AP

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound