Don't Give Up On This Young Baseball Team

Don't Give Up On This Young Baseball Team

Postby SU DOG » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm

No, it wasn't pretty last night, losing to Bama like we did before over 1300 at JLG. Just to glance at the final score, however, can be somewhat misleading. Going into the 9th inning, it was a 7-3 game, and most of those 7 runs were generated by our pitchers' lack of control. Starter Erin Baldwin gave up no runs, and had a good outing. We used a total of 9 pitchers, and gave up 7 walks and 3 HBP. Of course, none of our rotation pitchers were used, neither was our ace reliever Wyatt Burns.
SU DOG

Re: Don't Give Up On This Young Baseball Team

Postby sudog03 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Win or lose, midweek non-conference baseball games aren't very indicative of the type of team you have, IMO. I think we've been pretty dominant in those games in the last 5 years, yet over the same stretch we are pretty much a .500 SoCon team. Competing for a regular season championship is much more valuable to me. On that front, I'm very encouraged by the early returns from pitcher Sam Strickland. If his early form holds and Cody Shelton does his thing, that gives us two good two weekend starters. We haven't had that in some time. Use Baldwin out of the pen, have Burns to finish games. Now we talking. We will score runs, we know that. Questions are will the pitching and defense hold in SoCon play?
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Good points and good questions. Without a doubt, I think the defense will be just fine. The left side of the infield has shown some sparkling play from Fryman and Garris. Mulrine is one of the best catchers in the SoCon, and Edens is experienced on first. Second base is hotly contested by several good young players. The outfield is solid with Troy in center, and Sam Teague is the fastest player on the team.

As for the rotation pitchers, you can add LHP Hamp Skinner and RHP Stephen Jones to hopefully make a good hurler for the third starter. I think this is a razor thin position, however, and we can only hope those guys stay healthy. I also hope you are right about scoring runs, as I believe we still strike out way too much and leave runners stranded. I think that we will be OK as the season progresses and the batters become more accustomed to the pitchers they will face.

The SoCon is tough in baseball also. Several wins already over ranked/SEC Teams.

South Carolina - 2 losses(VMI and Furman)
UCF - SAMFORD
Tennessee - UNCG
Virginia - VMI
SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Not giving up, BUT if these last 3 games are an indication, we have some major issues. :(
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:54 pm

It certainly would appear that Big South member KSU has passed us by in athletics. They beat us in basketball, took two out of three in from us in baseball, and avenged an earlier loss in football in route to the quarterfinals. We did just recently beat them in tennis though so there is that.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm

SU Dog, it is Samford athletics. We are content to field teams—.500 is our benchmark.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SAM1014 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 am

Should we give up now?
SAM1014

Postby SU DOG » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Don't have a direct answer for your question, but last night was definitely an embarrassment. I stated earlier that our team would be inconsistent, but last night we were consistently BAD. A couple of points to consider, however:
Of the nine players we trotted onto the field, FIVE were playing HS ball this time last year. Three more are sophomores, and Troy Dixon is a Jr.
Edens did not play - injury, and Mulrine did not catch(not sure why). In a related matter does anyone know the status of Jordan Fucci?

The Fr. class is loaded with highly touted players, but Fr. will normally play with inconsistent results, especially if there are this many that start.

I have not meant to downplay or excuse how badly we played that game last night, but I think these are some things to consider.
SU DOG

Postby AP » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm

I have a question: Isn't Alabama State turning into a pretty good program here recently? Not a baseball guy, so only going on vague recollections.
AP

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm

There are always excuses to lose. But I don't know if there is ever an excuse to lose to ASU.

I hope we are posturing for conference play, otherwise all sports that start with a B look like they are going to finish with an F. But, fundraising is up!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound