Can someone please explain...

Can someone please explain...

Postby 77SU » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Why we can’t beat a MBB team that is ranked in the cellar? Didn’t we lose every time we played a team that was in the tenth spot? Sometimes we were their first conference win of the season.

I guess that’s why there is no hard sell to buy tickets to the tournament.
77SU

Re: Can someone please explain...

Postby big_dog1968 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

We didn't know how good we had it with CJT. :D
big_dog1968

Postby sudog03 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Mainly for the same reasons that led to a 10-22 record. We lacked a coherent strategy to get stops combined with an overall lack of desire to get stops and rebound. Offensive is better, but it was reliant on too much dribbling by our guards and requiring them to make really difficult passes which led to a few too many turnovers. As fans, we can only hope that this season is not just washed away by the injury situation, but that a real evaluation is undertaken to try and improve. When you go 1-2 against the worst place team in the league that is playing a total of 7 players, 2 of which are former football players, you have other issues besides injured players.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:12 pm

SU DOG

Postby SU DOG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:44 pm

I wonder how you can have a strategy for post play when you lose your 2 top players for this position?
If your post player cannot move out and make a few jumpers other than the dunk, how can you feed him without the guards trying to draw defenders away by their penetration?
What do you do if your post player has to sit and you have NO one to sub for him? You have to ask Thompson to try and defend the 5s inside?

The SoCon is very solid with the #5s this year. Adams has been wonderful this season, and has exceeded expectations, but he was not able to consistently play with many of these bigs, nor would he have been expected to.

After losing Peters, we had basically an 8 man rotation, with one of those being a true Fr.

I am not saying the post problems and depth were our only weaknesses, but they did make strategy planning very difficult. I will agree that better defensive effort and decision making on offense would have made for a better year. I will not be one to state or infer we have poor coaching. IF this next season doesn't bring far better results, however, that will be the time to pose questions.
SU DOG

Postby vestaviadude » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 am

HCSP looked defeated in this video and had no competitive fire. Really surprising. Oh well there is always next year. Good things ahead. Go Bulldogs!
vestaviadude

Postby BigDog99 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 pm

This video is taken 20 minutes or less after losing a game to end the season. A season that was struck down early by injuries. I’ll admit that I think we could have had more wins but with Walker & Cunningham out this season was never going to be what it could have been. But to say that HCSP doesn’t have competitive fire is ridiculous. You can argue X & O’s but if you’ve ever met him, heard him speak about his program, or have seen him coach you know that he is for sure 1 thing, COMPETITIVE! Not sure what fire you want to see after a season ending loss. He spoke of how his seniors didn’t go out the way he wanted to & offered to buy them rings if his team won next year because they were the people who got the program going & had success last year. Not here to say HCSP is perfect but he is definitely competitive. Next year will be a big year for this program. They must bounce back & have a winning season so that this year can be looked at as what it was, a season of injuries that couldn’t be overcome. If they struggle next year then we need to take a serious look at our basketball program & staff.
BigDog99

Postby sudog03 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:40 pm

SU DOG wrote:I wonder how you can have a strategy for post play when you lose your 2 top players for this position?
If your post player cannot move out and make a few jumpers other than the dunk, how can you feed him without the guards trying to draw defenders away by their penetration?
What do you do if your post player has to sit and you have NO one to sub for him? You have to ask Thompson to try and defend the 5s inside?

The SoCon is very solid with the #5s this year. Adams has been wonderful this season, and has exceeded expectations, but he was not able to consistently play with many of these bigs, nor would he have been expected to.

After losing Peters, we had basically an 8 man rotation, with one of those being a true Fr.

I am not saying the post problems and depth were our only weaknesses, but they did make strategy planning very difficult. I will agree that better defensive effort and decision making on offense would have made for a better year. I will not be one to state or infer we have poor coaching. IF this next season doesn't bring far better results, however, that will be the time to pose questions.

Certainly the injuries were a major issue. But when you go 1-2 against a team with a 7 man rotation and 2 of those 7 were former football players, I think it's safe to say other issues exist as well. I wouldn't expect this team as it was constituted to compete for a championship, but I think we could have been a little more competitive. I just hope the season is not washed away with the injury issue and that a real evaluation is done on how to improve the program. Not everyone currently involved has been part of this, but this is a program that has been in the bottom half of the league every year since we joined the SoCon. Hopefully next year we can break that streak.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound