Walker transferring

Re: Walker transferring

Postby Cujo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

By the way, I don’t think he’ll be the only transfer.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Remember when people were talking about how defeated CSP sounded? Maybe he knew this was coming.
big_dog1968

Postby hotdiggitydog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Keep in mind transfers are a way of life in MBB. I read recently that the average transfer rate was between 2 & 3 PER TEAM PER YEAR. Really hate we won't get to watch Walker play next year but since he is a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining...it is a really great way to leverage basketball into undergrad AND graduate degrees. Most folks in academia will tell you to get your masters degree at a different institution than your bachelors degree. I hope he goes somewhere with a great master's program in the area of his choosing. I also hope we have our feelers out for a kid looking for a similar opportunity because they are out there!
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
hotdiggitydog

Postby AP » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 pm

1. We've had more transfers from the Samford men's basketball team in the 5 years and 11 months since Bennie Seltzer was hired than we had in the two decades before that day. Take that for data.
2. Big Dog, Ruben Guererro averaged 5 and 5 at USF during his third year there. He was playing almost 23 mpg. My guess is that he'll give you about 8 and 8 a night, depending on durability and foul trouble. Probably average 2 blocks per game. Need to find 1-2 more bigs to play and rotate with him to improve off the production that Adams and Peters gave us this year.
3. Maybe Brandon Austin helps us out on the wing? I could see him contributing at a level a tick below where Alex Thompson did his first year of SU eligibility. I'm not real sure how good he is.
4. Coleman will likely graduate this summer. Cunningham likely will graduate before next spring--not sure when. If they do finish early or on time, I could see them being grad transfers if there are no repercussions and they don't have to sit out.

As far as the lineup goes, here's where it would be *today* for the top 10-11 players on the roster. Assumes no further attrition and subject to revision.

PG: Coleman (SR, 5-10, 170), Sharkey (JR, 5-10, 170)
SG: Cunningham (SR, 6-2, 190), Nolan (SO, 6-2, 170), Chambers (JR, 6-2, 185)
Wings: Austin (JR, 6-5, 200), Lakic (SR, 6-7, 220), Fitzgerald (FR, 6-4, 175)
Bigs: Guererro (SR, 7-0, 240) + 1-2 of Mumber (RFR, 6-7, 205), Robert Allen (FR, 6-8, 200), or Logan Dye (FR, 6-7, 225)

Other than CC coming back, I'm not sure we are any better at the guard spots. I don't think we get any better defensively unless we seriously address our scheme and mentality. I think it's a drop off from 3D + Thompson to those three on the wings. Probably a big one. I think we're appreciably worse next year with no Wyatt Walker + having to depend on Guererro and some unproven youngsters.
AP

Postby DC_INT'L » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 am

AP wrote:
Cujo wrote:He’s a good player. I wish him well. Graduated in 3 years. That’s impressive.
Sure, but that's probably the worst part of it: He's the kind of person Samford needs to be successful. He's academically VERY strong, comfortable with the faith-based nature of the university, recruited from inside our main recruiting area, and a really great offensive SoCon PF. If we can't build a program with guys like him, we're not going to sustain any success when we get it.

This is an important point.
DC_INT'L

Postby ImAFan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Cujo wrote:By the way, I don’t think he’ll be the only transfer.

^ This.
ImAFan

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Walker and Chambers and . . . . ? I had heard that these two were expressing their intent to leave at the end of the season back in January. I’ve heard a less reliable rumor of another, but time and twitter will tell.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Cujo wrote:Walker and Chambers and . . . . ? I had heard that these two were expressing their intent to leave at the end of the season back in January. I’ve heard a less reliable rumor of another, but time and twitter will tell.

I think it is highly possible that SU DOG may transfer to Oklahoma State.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Re basketball, I'm thinking of transferring to the state of "don't give a $%&=+".
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Cujo wrote:Walker and Chambers and . . . . ? I had heard that these two were expressing their intent to leave at the end of the season back in January. I’ve heard a less reliable rumor of another, but time and twitter will tell.

Appears that the rumor was reliable after all.
Cujo

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound