The SoCon championship

Re: The SoCon championship

Postby AP » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm not sure this is an apt analogy, but remember how the Israelites always complained that they were back in Egypt. Are we like that? Have we been liberated and we're just wandering around because of our unbelief? Do we want to go back to captivity? Or are we seeing this accurately?
AP

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I think the comparison is appropriate given that it took the Israelites 40 years to reach the promised land.
BOE
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm

AP, if you think Martin Newton or Scott Padgett is Moses, you might be on to something. If you think they are, you might be bat$h!t crazy too. Which begs the question, is AP the devil? I don’t think we have resolved anything
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby whoknows » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:29 pm

I would call Will Wade at LSU and ask him:

who is the best assistant coach that you know? Is he ready to lead a program?

Then put an exit clause in his contract that reimburses Samford for every dime when he leaves before year 4.

BB
whoknows

Postby Smurf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Padgett signed a 45 year deal with us last year I think. He's here until Jesus returns.

We paid Tillette not to coach and shortly thereafter paid Seltzer not to coach. Newton is in a bit of corner here. He pretty much has no option than to ride this one out. He has a lot hinging on this hire. If Padgett can't get it done, the next few seasons will be agonizing and filled with an awful lot of hopelessness.
BOE
Smurf

Postby AP » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 am

whoknows wrote:I would call Will Wade at LSU and ask him:

Then put an exit clause in his contract that reimburses Samford for every dime when he leaves before year 4.

BB
Nah. Need someone that *gets it* from a comprehensive perspective.
AP

Postby DC_INT'L » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 am

AP wrote:
whoknows wrote:I would call Will Wade at LSU and ask him:

BB
Nah. Need someone that *gets it* from a comprehensive perspective.

We've made two hires to win press conferences, rather than hiring a coach that can recruit and coach in a way that is congruent with the overall mission of the university.

We can't be who we're not. A lesser "name" but better match wins more games. We've needed someone off of Rick Byrd's staff (I hear Casey Alexander's a good coach) or a Butler alum (what is Ronald Nored doing these days?).

Mike Morris would have been a better hire. Or the best coach in Alabama -- Lennie Acuff.
DC_INT'L

Postby sudog03 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Just FYI, South Alabama just fired Matt Graves after 5 seasons with a 65-96 record. He was Butler's top assistant prior to. Not trying to say your wrong in everything you say, but it's not an exact science. Moot point, our current coach isn't going anywhere.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:14 pm

It's not an exact science, but in the past 20 years we've had success, fleeting as it may have been, with a guy who did get it and we've pretty much screwed the pooch with two that either didn't get it or only partially get it. Hopefully now after how poorly basketball has been during his tenure, Newton fully gets it.
BOE
Smurf

Postby 77SU » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Smurf wrote: Hopefully now after how poorly basketball has been during his tenure, Newton fully gets it.

It’s amazing how the AD got his contract renewed/extended before all the end of MBB season transfers became public.
77SU

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound