The SoCon championship

Re: The SoCon championship

Postby Smurf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Padgett's overall record at SU is 57–76 (.429). We've yet to finish any higher than seventh in the SoCon since he took over in 2014-2015. Heading into year five, with another wave of players transferring out, we are yet again in a significant period of rebuilding. Padgett is signed through the 2021-2022 season.

Martin Newton is signed through June of 2022 (he signed an extension last month). In his seven seasons as AD, which spans the partial or complete tenure of three different head coaches, we have enjoyed just one winning season and have won just 40% of our games.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Smurf wrote:Padgett's overall record at SU is 57–76 (.429). We've yet to finish any higher than seventh in the SoCon since he took over in 2014-2015. Heading into year five, with another wave of players transferring out, we are yet again in a significant period of rebuilding. Padgett is signed through the 2021-2022 season.

Martin Newton is signed through June of 2022 (he signed an extension last month). In his seven seasons as AD, which spans the partial or complete tenure of three different head coaches, we have enjoyed just one winning season and have won just 40% of our games.

The rest of the story: “While emphasizing basketball.”
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Cujo wrote:The rest of the story: “While emphasizing basketball.”

BOE?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby AP » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm

sudog03 wrote:Just FYI, South Alabama just fired Matt Graves after 5 seasons with a 65-96 record. He was Butler's top assistant prior to. Not trying to say your wrong in everything you say, but it's not an exact science.

HOT TAKES INCOMING: Matt Graves would have finished in the top 4 the SoCon at Samford by now, and Scott Padgett would have finished in the top 4 of the Sun Belt if he was hired at South Alabama instead of Matt Graves.
AP

Postby Cujo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 pm

AP, how do you define speculation?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby BigDog99 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 pm

It’s hilarious how little anyone had to say this season. As soon as the season is over everyone comes out of the wood work to be negative. You guys do realize how bad this program has been for a long time. Go look at the last 6 years of JT’s tenure. Obviously, BS’s 2 years were bad. The program had got better each year until this year when 2 starters went down early in the season. No team in our league could have survived that kind of loss. We also had lesser injuries that cost us games from Sharkey, Thompson, & Peters(who we lost for the season late). You guys please tell me what is there about SP that isn’t a good fit for Samford. This is a program that wasn’t going to be turned around overnight & 1 season with injuries to this magnitude should not lead to this much negativity. I would also remind you that players & recruits, & families read these boards & if you truly have nothing good to say maybe your way of supporting Samford is to say nothing. Also 1 last stat since you guys love them so much. Mike Young who I believe most people on this board would agree is a good Coach. Checkout his 1st 4 years he was 48-67 41.7%. His 1st winning season came in his 7th year. His record through his 1st 7 years was 88-106 45.4%. In his 8th year he won the 1st of his 4 SoCon Championships. I would say where that program was when he took over & where our program was when SP took over was very similar as far as history goes but the train wreck that SP took over from BS made this a very tough turnaround. Throw into account the kids now a days leave when they are getting playing time & try to go higher it is tough to build. We have to be realistic about our program. Wofford, UNCG, UTC, Mercer, ETSU all spend way more on their programs. They all have practice facilities, they all have great fan support. People keep posting about things like BOE. What have we been doing to support basketball that has taken away from other sports on campus. If anything I would say that the other sports on campus are all at worst case scenario either the same or better since Martin Newton has been here. Look at the records & titles. I know people know he had reputation of basketball guy coming in but I would say our athletic program as a whole has improved since he’s been here. If you guys want to pull out stats or opinion to argue with me that’s fine but I think most of you don’t actually make any objective statements. I’m done, ready for the hate to spew now.
BigDog99

Postby sudog03 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:22 pm

BigDog99 wrote:It’s hilarious how little anyone had to say this season. I would also remind you that players & recruits, & families read these boards & if you truly have nothing good to say maybe your way of supporting Samford is to say nothing.

I think those two sentences are very good observations. The second statement led to the first one.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 pm

99, I thought I had seen your post before, so I went back and looked at your previous posts. Basically, I have (dating back to your defense of Bennie Seltzer). At least you have been consistent in your defense of basketball, Martin Newton, whoever Martin Newton has hired as a coach and your optimism for the future of Samford basketball. It is good that we have such positive fans with consistent detailed insider information.
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm

sudog03 wrote:
BigDog99 wrote:It’s hilarious how little anyone had to say this season. I would also remind you that players & recruits, & families read these boards & if you truly have nothing good to say maybe your way of supporting Samford is to say nothing.

I think those two sentences are very good observations. The second statement led to the first one.

I would also remind you all that players, families, and recruits pay attention to...wait for it... our record and outgoing transfers. This has a heck of a lot more effect righting the ship than the fans on a message board. The fan base here is the asset, not the problem. It's this fan base here that contributes significant amounts of money to the program. It is the fan base here that travels hundreds of miles to away games. It is the fanbase here that supports other university initiatives outside of athletics. It's the fan base here that holds season tickets year after year. And you all get your thongs in a wad because folks post negative comments on the heels of a 20+ loss season and after we've lost two starters to transfers during the last week? You cannot be serious. You need to be more concerned about apathy than you are about fans who rant and rave. You need to be concerned when fewer people post because they have stopped caring than the cogent critical thoughts of those who do post here because they do care. Perspective, folks...perspective. It's as if some of you think that those who post negatively do so just out of boredom and not because they...I don't know...have a deep passion about SU athletics.

BigDog, as a hat tip to your previous post, I will now include BOE as a signature until the program can reach a level that is at least mediocre.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby BigDog99 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Again to get back to my points. I talked about how this program has never good & it was going to take time to turnaround. I gave you some stats to talk about that point. I also asked what has SP done to show that he’s not a fit for Samford. No one even acknowledged any of the things I talked about. You only spoke of me saying we shouldn’t be negative. Then rolled of that you give money. Well just like you looked into my past tweets, I know people have given money to the program and I think that is awesome but because people on the board give money it doesn’t mean that they should be negative. And maybe I am naive to think that in our microwave society that we should give someone who had 3 straight improving seasons leading into this year & lost 2 starters early the benefit of this bad season. I’m not saying we should be happy about a 10-22 season. I also didn’t hear anybody answer the question about what are we really doing that suggests “basketball over everything” or BOE. I think again all our athletic programs are growing & getting better. What’s better for each obviously depends on where each program was when Martin Newton got here. Nobody commented on my facts of where this program was before SP took over. Nobody commented on Mike Young. No people took my comment to not be negative as a personal attack. So I guess since this Board obviously doesn’t want to have Perspective from both sides of a viewpoint I’ve worn out my welcome. I’ll stay away cause if something can only be talked about negatively I’m probably not welcome.
BigDog99

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound