Football Thoughts

Football Thoughts

Postby sudog03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Can we play consistently at a high level?
As I look back on last season, that's the one thing that sticks out at me. We had some halves of games when we didn't play at a high level, then we had some entire games that we didn't. That's one common thread that championship teams have, they bring it every time out. Would an improved running game help? Sure. But even with the way we run the ball, if we don't give up 8 explosive plays at WCU or turn the ball over 7 times against UTC, we win the league. If we eliminated both of those things, we go 8-0 in league, get a bye, and have probably one of the best regular seasons in Samford football history. But alas, they happened and we still had the best season in 25 years.

Can we handle expectations?
I would imagine we enter the season a top 15 pick in both polls, along with being one of the favorites to win the league. How we handle those expectations will determine our season. Because of that, do we think we can just roll out our jersey's and beat teams, ala the UTC game last year? Or do we embrace the challenge and look to dominant every Saturday?

Is the defense rebuilding or reloading?
We lost a lot of production on the defensive side of the ball. I am of thinking that it's truly more of a reload than a rebuild. After the WCU game last year, we really played some outstanding defense. Although, we lose some big contributors, I think we have some talented kids ready to fill those roles. Some of them are pretty inexperienced, but I think this will be a really good unit come the KSU game. Offense will have to carry us the first part of the season some.

Can we develop an outside WR?
As good as Shelling and McKnight are, we really need an outside WR to step up. Our inability to execute the fade last season in the RZ last season, really made it tough for us to score when we got it close. If we can do that, this offense will get back to averaging 35 points a game as we did in 2017.

Kicking Game
Will have to try and replace Barnard at P and need a FG to step up.
sudog03

Re: Football Thoughts

Postby AP » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

These are good takes.
AP

Postby dixiechs88 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm

may have a P, still need a FG
dixiechs88

Postby SU DOG » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Really good takes! I agree on the probability of a reload defense. Look back at arguably the best defensive effort of the year in the Mercer game. Samford started only THREE seniors on defense if I'm looking correctly - Salmon, McManes, and Marks. We definitely lost some good ones, sure, but there are some good ones returning, so I think reload is right.
Between Andrew Harris(6-1, but very athletic), 6-4 Jairus Creamer, and 6-3 Robert Adams, we certainly should be able to find the fade route WR that we need.
Biggest question mark might be depth at LB. Some young ones will have to step up. As stated, Special Teams is also a huge question mark right now.
This will be, IMO, the best returning O-Line we've had in a long time. I really like this group.
I also think that developing a good running game is critical. Potential is there, and we showed some glimpses of accomplishing that last season.
Returning QB has hopefully gained some more experience and will have at least a decent season. :lol:

Why has nothing been said, or have I just missed it, about several new assistant coaches?
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound