Beat FSU

Re: Beat FSU

Postby SU 97 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

sudog03 wrote:Personally, I reserve great for Southern Conference championships when reviewing a season.

Then wouldn't that make the baseball season a great one? ;)
SU 97
Site Admin

Postby sudog03 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Regular season championships carry more weight for me, just my opinion. I'm not trying to take anything away from this season or what Coach Dunn has accomplished. The way we play in the conference tournament has been fantastic. Before Coach Dunn's arrival in 2004, SU baseball had not had back-to-back winning seasons in 40 years. The program was just in awful shape. Now, I think we have won 30+ plus games in 11 of the last 13 seasons. But, we still haven't won a regular season SoCon championship. It was very nice to get back close to the top of the league after finishing 5th the last two seasons. I am interested to see how we build on this successful season. While the lineup was pretty young, we lose quite a bit of our pitching in Wyatt Burns, Cody Shelton, Josh Rich and Erin Baldwin.
sudog03

Postby SU 97 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 pm

sudog03 wrote:Regular season championships carry more weight for me, just my opinion. I'm not trying to take anything away from this season or what Coach Dunn has accomplished. The way we play in the conference tournament has been fantastic. Before Coach Dunn's arrival in 2004, SU baseball had not had back-to-back winning seasons in 40 years. The program was just in awful shape. Now, I think we have won 30+ plus games in 11 of the last 13 seasons. But, we still haven't won a regular season SoCon championship. It was very nice to get back close to the top of the league after finishing 5th the last two seasons. I am interested to see how we build on this successful season. While the lineup was pretty young, we lose quite a bit of our pitching in Wyatt Burns, Cody Shelton, Josh Rich and Erin Baldwin.

You are quickly becoming the crotchety old guy on here. :) I understand your point but realistically, no one remembers who won the regular season title. I got burned by "regular season championship" expectations by the 1996 men's basketball team and made a lengthy drive to Orlando for no good reason after that regular season champion got bounced in the first round.
SU 97
Site Admin

Postby Cujo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Soccer wins regular season championships and then gets bounced in the semi's. I think that is a knock on what is otherwise our most successful program. It is good to win the regular season, but it is better to make the playoffs. Regular season just means #1 seed in everything other than football (then it means something).
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 pm

I like the ivy league concepts. Top 4 in basketball make the conference tournament and in baseball top 2 play a weekend series to determine who gets bid. I just think the have every team make the conference concept adquately rewards teams that have great regular seasons.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:10 pm

My paralegal who is an obnoxious Mississippi State fan (wait, that's redundant) advises that MSU beat OU again today and advances. As a television viewer, I found the MSU fans to be loud and obnoxious, but they seemed to be supporting their team and their players seem to be straight up good guys who played a hell of a game. OU on the other hand struck me as a bunch of A-holes (primarily their pitcher), so I was hoping MSU would prevail (plus, MSU plays us in sports and gives us money). Now, reality is probably just the opposite, but that's the way it looked to me on the TV.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby 77SU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:01 am

Wonder if we’ll have a hostile welcome when the football team plays F$U in September?

Luckily the baseball field is used as a major tailgating area. At least this game will be in the evening rather than the midday sun and heat.
77SU

Postby 77SU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 am

paladinfan wrote:
Cujo wrote:This is the toughest regional bracket in college baseball. We aren’t a 4 seed and OU isn’t a 3. But I like playing the big names, as opposed to Tenn. Tech or LIUB.

Tennessee Tech is 48-9 and made the tournament as an at large selection with wins over Vandy and Tennessee. They aren't a "big name," but they are a really good baseball team.

Tennessee Tech just beat Ole Miss 3-2 and is headed to the Super Regional.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 am

If we played Tenn. Tech, nobody in the world would give a rip if we won and they’d figure we suck if we lost. Beat FSU, Miss. St. or Oklahoma and it looks good. Now Ole Miss fans have to wonder how they got beat by Tenn. Tech. Where the hell is Tenn. Tech? LOL.
Cujo

Postby AP » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:21 am

Cujo wrote:If we played Tenn. Tech, nobody in the world would give a rip if we won and they’d figure we suck if we lost. Beat FSU, Miss. St. or Oklahoma and it looks good. Now Ole Miss fans have to wonder how they got beat by Tenn. Tech. Where the hell is Tenn. Tech? LOL.
Yeah, but did they come in first in the OVC regular season standings? That's the real question.
AP

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound