Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Postby sudog03 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:02 pm

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2018

Dogs check in at number 12, top ranked SoCon team. Find it a little funny that a 5-6 Villanova team would be ahead of us.
sudog03

Re: Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Postby Smurf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Hodges is 4,195 yards shy of passing Steve McNair as the all time leading career passer in FCS history. Last season Hodges averaged 331 yards per game in a 12 game season. He would need to stay healthy and average 349 in a 12 game season to eclipse the record or 322 in a 13 game season.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Of course I hope that Devlin can break every possible record, BUT don't we also need to see Liam Welch get some PT this year for experience?
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Welch got extensive work in the spring. I am not sure experience in mop-up duty of games would be very meaningful, but I'm sure he will see some. If memory serves he got some his freshman year. I think he has a bright future.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 am

Street and Smith's mag is now out, and Samford is given even more love, ranked nationally at #10. S & S sees the SoCon this way:

1. SAMFORD
2. FU
3. Woff
4. Mercer
5. WCU
6. The Cit
7. UTC
8. ETSU
9. VMI
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 am

Warning, don’t read unless you want a dose of honest assessment. Samford and respect in the preseason never seem to go well together. This worries me for no other reason than it has historically been the kiss of death. Samford is unaccustomed to being a favorite and both the athletic department and our teams typically have read their press lines and behaved like they have accomplished something before they have accomplished something. Samford sports even got a little giddy for my taste during the baseball playoffs after the FSU win—act like you have been there before. Don’t tell people you belong at the top, be at that the top. Finish, damn it, finish.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU 97 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Cujo wrote:Warning, don’t read unless you want a dose of honest assessment. Samford and respect in the preseason never seem to go well together. This worries me for no other reason than it has historically been the kiss of death. Samford is unaccustomed to being a favorite and both the athletic department and our teams typically have read their press lines and behaved like they have accomplished something before they have accomplished something. Samford sports even got a little giddy for my taste during the baseball playoffs after the FSU win—act like you have been there before. Don’t tell people you belong at the top, be at that the top. Finish, damn it, finish.

I may be in the minority in the sports world but I hate when my teams are the preseason pick. They NEVER live up to the predictions. That's been true for me with any team I follow. I like years more like this one for the Braves - no one expects you to be any good and you get to have fun knocking off teams.

I just want SU sports as a whole to develop a "killer" mentality. The FINISH mantra should be plastered all over locker rooms for every sport on campus and those without locker rooms like golf. I wouldn't mind a game or two in football where we were accused of running up scores. :-) Play hard from start to finish - we have a tendency to let up for a quarter and that can't happen.
SU 97
Site Admin

Postby sudog03 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Agreed. I think I've said on here before, our mindset will be a major factor this season. We have to have the mentality to come out and play our best each week. That was our biggest problem last season. Because of the recent success we've had and the preseason expectations, we are going to get every teams best shot. We cannot just show up, roll out the jerseys and expect to beat SoCon teams.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Yep...if we don't roll over play dead against UTC last year, the complexion of our post season schedule changes drastically. Instead of going on the road against KSU, we would have received a bye with an extra week of preparation and rest and perhaps even a home game. How might we have fared with that benefit? Lose a game in football to a team you should beat and there will be consequences, particularly when there are playoff implications.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 pm

I understand and I DO NOT disagree with these expressed sentiments. However, isn't there another side of this coin? After Terry Bowden, Samford football spent the next 10 years wallowing around as an Independent. There were some winning seasons, yes, but often with a soft schedule that would provide those. Then for the next 5 years, we were in the OVC where we had ONE winning season. Not once did we ever beat EKU or JSU. Talk about an obscure program with NO national recognition, and you describe 15 or so years of our football program. When we entered the SoCon, there were loud cries from many fans of the better teams who saw us as lowering the standard for SoCon football. I remember a thread on AGS entitled: 'How Long Before Samford Wins A SoCon Game'? One answer was 4 years. :lol:

I briefly review our history to say this: I may be in the minority, but this old Dog is enjoying seeing FCS fans, media, and coaches from across the country recognize and respect SAMFORD. It is, to me, such a new and pleasant experience. We have FINALLY earned national respect, and now we MUST keep it. Like y 'all I sure hope we can live up to the hype.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Next

Return to The Dog Pound