Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Re: Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

Postby AP » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Guys, we all know _urman should be the real pre-season favorite. Hopefully, the coaches will do the right thing and realize that. Western should probably be picked second. At this point, we should probably make the playoffs because the SoCon is a three-bid league. Our defense was wiped out from graduation losses, and we were thin in the back 7 anyway. Our offense is one-dimensional, and we're going to need to score in the 40s for most of the season. Repeat this, post it on the locker room walls, and tattoo it on your souls.
AP

Postby Cujo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 am

SU DOG wrote:I understand and I DO NOT disagree with these expressed sentiments. However, isn't there another side of this coin? After Terry Bowden, Samford football spent the next 10 years wallowing around as an Independent. There were some winning seasons, yes, but often with a soft schedule that would provide those. Then for the next 5 years, we were in the OVC where we had ONE winning season. Not once did we ever beat EKU or JSU. Talk about an obscure program with NO national recognition, and you describe 15 or so years of our football program. When we entered the SoCon, there were loud cries from many fans of the better teams who saw us as lowering the standard for SoCon football. I remember a thread on AGS entitled: 'How Long Before Samford Wins A SoCon Game'? One answer was 4 years. :lol:

I briefly review our history to say this: I may be in the minority, but this old Dog is enjoying seeing FCS fans, media, and coaches from across the country recognize and respect SAMFORD. It is, to me, such a new and pleasant experience. We have FINALLY earned national respect, and now we MUST keep it. Like y 'all I sure hope we can live up to the hype.

GO DOGS!!!!!

Oh no, SU Dog is content to roll out the jerseys.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 am

Cujo wrote:
SU DOG wrote:I understand and I DO NOT disagree with these expressed sentiments. However, isn't there another side of this coin? After Terry Bowden, Samford football spent the next 10 years wallowing around as an Independent. There were some winning seasons, yes, but often with a soft schedule that would provide those. Then for the next 5 years, we were in the OVC where we had ONE winning season. Not once did we ever beat EKU or JSU. Talk about an obscure program with NO national recognition, and you describe 15 or so years of our football program. When we entered the SoCon, there were loud cries from many fans of the better teams who saw us as lowering the standard for SoCon football. I remember a thread on AGS entitled: 'How Long Before Samford Wins A SoCon Game'? One answer was 4 years. :lol:

I briefly review our history to say this: I may be in the minority, but this old Dog is enjoying seeing FCS fans, media, and coaches from across the country recognize and respect SAMFORD. It is, to me, such a new and pleasant experience. We have FINALLY earned national respect, and now we MUST keep it. Like y 'all I sure hope we can live up to the hype.

GO DOGS!!!!!

Oh no, SU Dog is content to roll out the jerseys.

Truthfully now, did you fail Reading Comprehension???
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 am

LOL.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I was too tired to respond to your post yesterday, SU Dog. I do agree that it is good to get some respect. We really need to deliver. As Smurf said with a specific example, we need to develop a killer instinct and learn to play as the favorite. That’s a lot different than getting up for the big game, it is weathering everyone’s best game. Sometimes, it is just refusing to lose when it looks like all is lost. Sometimes is is just having the composure to make the play with all the marbles on the line. Regardless, it has to be a new mindset for what Samford football had traditionally been.
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:52 pm

AGREE 100%
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

sudog03

Postby paladinfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

AP wrote:Guys, we all know _urman should be the real pre-season favorite. Hopefully, the coaches will do the right thing and realize that. Western should probably be picked second. At this point, we should probably make the playoffs because the SoCon is a three-bid league. Our defense was wiped out from graduation losses, and we were thin in the back 7 anyway. Our offense is one-dimensional, and we're going to need to score in the 40s for most of the season. Repeat this, post it on the locker room walls, and tattoo it on your souls.

This Furman fan thinks Samford should be #1 preseason.

I realize you are posturing a bit, but Samford's offense is pretty one dimensional. Over 80% of their offensive yards came via the pass last year. A brief look at the statistics suggest that there were only three other SoCon teams who accounted for 70% or more of their total yardage by either the run (Wofford and The Citadel) or the pass (ETSU).

I guess you can define "one dimensional" how you want, but that's pretty one dimensional.
paladinfan

Postby AP » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm not posturing anything. Respeck on the name of the _urman football team.
AP

Postby sudog03 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:20 pm

How did wofford do last season?
sudog03

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound