New USA stadium

New USA stadium

Postby Smurf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:51 pm

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/south_alabama_trustees_unanimo.html

Yeah, I know USA and SU aren't exactly similar in their identities and pursuits but we were playing football long before those guys. We don't need a 25,000 seat stadium, but it is frustrating to see other schools significantly upgrade their facilities while we continue to play in a facility that outside of the fieldhouse hasn't seen a major upgrade in over 30 years now.

Closer to home I'd settle for something like this...We are being passed in the facilities arms race by our own peers.
http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/etsustadium/gallery2/20171002-4-lg.jpg
BOE.
Smurf

Re: New USA stadium

Postby SU DOG » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Looks really nice. Seibert Stadium MUST be upgraded and soo!!!
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 pm

ETSU's stadium was funded 31% through university funds (student fees). USA is issuing debt to build their's and wants to rely on a combined $20m from the City of Mobile and Mobile County which has yet to be agreed upon. I believe it's going to take a significant financial commitment from the university in some shape or form to see anything more than an facelift to Seibert. Would love to see it also.
sudog03

Postby 77SU » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah, I noticed Seibert wasn’t on the list of stadiums they visited in coming up with their design. Should have been on the list of what not to do.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:50 am

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2018/08/mobile_council_votes_against_f.html

Takes more than announcements and renderings to get a stadium built. Looks like the folks at USA overcooked their grits. Frankly, can't believe Birmingham agreed to front the full cost of building one for a program that shut itself down 3-4 years ago in exchange for a lease agreement. Oh FYI, UAB has an option to terminate the lease after 10 years.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:52 am

Any time one of the board members wants to give or raise the millions to build whatever the board members want, I’m sure they will build it. Until then, talk is cheap. Everyone has an opinion, few people are willing to do something meaningful to make a change. If a couple of y’all would be involved in accident with deep pocket defendants through no fault of your own, I’m sure AP would represent your estate and donate half the proceeds of his fee to build a new stadium. It takes sacrifice, folks. How bad do you want it??!!!!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby big_dog1968 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 pm

We could play our way into some significant stadium upgrades. If we win our way to a first round bye, that would force us into playing a home game in our woefully inadequate facility. The embarrassing reality that we would face as a result, might just be the impetus that fires up the right people (aka love the school, have lots of cash) and gets the ball rolling.

Our stadium upgrades are literally riding on the arm of Delvonico Hodgkins III. Let's go get us a stadium, eight!
big_dog1968

Postby SU DOG » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Seibert isn't the worst venue that would ever host a Playoff Game. Buccaneer Field at Charleston Southern hosted a game in 2015, one year after the 4,000 seat stadium had gotten lights. That place is far worse than ours. Our bowl shaped setting is unusually nice. Certainly that's not to say that we aren't hurting for upgrades - we definitely are. As for NCAA requirements, however, we do meet all the criteria, now that instant replay has been installed.

Next season we will see the new video/scoreboard, at least that is being told by reliable sources. Beyond that, there doesn't seem to be any word. The needed upgrades(whatever is planned) will cost millions, of course. I kinda get offended when someone at Samford says to me, "well, donate the money and we will begin immediately". They know I can't, but there are people that can. With over 50,000 alumni, there are deep-pockets out there. I know of one who is a 70s alumnus whose net worth has recently been estimated at over 4.8 billion dollars - yes, that is a B-as in billion. A recent Samford HOF inductee has just signed a $75 million contract. These are just 2 obvious examples, and there are many others I'm sure, although many will not be football fans. Also, if the stadium upgrade would include anything, such as a food venue for West Campus students, then the university would be expected to kick in a substantial amount. That issue is trying to be worked out.

We do have paid fund raisers whose job is to secure these huge donations. Are they doing their job? Well, it's not easy to hit someone up for a few million dollars. Angles have to be worked, contacts carefully established, and naming rights given to satisfaction. It is interesting to note that Samford Football connections have been so instrumental in not only the Fieldhouse being built, but also the Brock School of Business and the PHC.

Soon we will hear of the success of a recent fund raising campaign that is ahead of schedule. If any of that is for athletics, IDK. Our school seems to be in good shape overall. Endowment over $300 million, another record enrollment, unprecedented national recognition in many areas, and even athletic commercial sponsorship up several hundred percent over the recent past. Now, we will see if we have the athletic backing from the administration needed to bring the football stadium out of the 1970s status. Most other needed projects have been addressed we have been told. IMO, if we don't see this(stadium upgrades) in the next 2-3 years, then I'm afraid we are being sent a dsturbing message. IMO, it WILL happen - sure hope so.
SU DOG

Postby AP » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:04 pm

I will promise you this, SU DOG: If I ever have a net worth that starts with a B (as in BILLION and not "bruh, that's not much money"), we'll all be drinkin' that free bubble up and eatin' that rainbow stew in a Seibert Stadium luxury box.

As Teh Cooj is fond of saying, if you would like to help me get there by, for example, informing me of large-scale fraud on the United States Government remediable under 31 U.S.C. § 3730(b), shoot me a PM. You can also help Teh Cooj get there by having a massive transportation company, but not being especially cautious who you hire to drive your trucks or perform your maintenance. The quality of legal services would not be better than those performed by other lawyers, but they would result in improvements to Seibert Stadium. So.....wash?
AP

Postby Cujo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 pm

AP makes a good point. If you guys will make a lot of money and then hire lawyers (AP and me) and pay them a lot of money, the lawyers will contribute a lot of money to build the stadium. The problem really starts with you, SU Dog. You just weren't, from a financial standpoint, successful enough.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound