Shawn Finney Named to Bulldogs’ Coaching Staff

Shawn Finney Named to Bulldogs’ Coaching Staff

Postby 77SU » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 pm

77SU

Re: Shawn Finney Named to Bulldogs’ Coaching Staff

Postby smalltownbulldog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Looks like a good add, probably better than I thought we could get. Right now website has seven players and eight staff members, so they certainly are getting plenty of coaching!
smalltownbulldog

Postby Cujo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

I don't know this guy, but several of us have suggested we needed a wise senior staff member and this guy looks like he might be that.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Cujo wrote:I don't know this guy, but several of us have suggested we needed a wise senior staff member and this guy looks like he might be that.

Yeah, and I hope that is the case. In his only D-1 HC job, Finney had a terrible record at Tulane, going 60-86. That is NOT an indicement as there are some coaches who are just far better at being an assistant than being the head man. Hope he helps us out.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm

This staff sorely needed coaches with more experience. At least on paper, Finney brings that to the table. If memory serves me correctly, Finney was hired for the Tulane job around about the time Tillette was a hot candidate for that position.

Hopefully Finney can a) help boost defensive instruction and b) quickly understand and assimilate the Samford culture.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby 77SU » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Smurf wrote:This staff sorely needed coaches with more experience. At least on paper, Finney brings that to the table. If memory serves me correctly, Finney was hired for the Tulane job around about the time Tillette was a hot candidate for that position.

Hopefully Finney can a) help boost defensive instruction and b) quickly understand and assimilate the Samford culture.

Smurf’s point (b) was also my concern.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I just hope he can communicate with the players and bring some maturity and balance to the sidelines. I've witnessed a lot of unnecessary over-coaching the last few years. If the players are not doing what the coach has told them, the coach isn't communicating with them. He does so much unnecessary chattering of minutia through out the game, what he says has to turn into white noise after a while.

I mean this with all sincerity and as constructive advice. During the game, let the players play and make plays. Run your offense, but if they don't shuffle their feet, or twitch their finger the right way or they miss a pass or something, give them a chance to get into the rhythm of the game. Let them make mistakes and not worry about being shown up on the sidelines. Say less and maybe they'll hear more. Right now, the coach's constant ranting and over-coaching seems to turn into white noise. It probably has something to do with transfers too.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm

That's a good take, Cujo. That was one of Jimmy's issues near the end as well, despite what his staff tried to tell him.
AP

Postby 77SU » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Cujo wrote:I just hope he can communicate with the players and bring some maturity and balance to the sidelines. I've witnessed a lot of unnecessary over-coaching the last few years. If the players are not doing what the coach has told them, the coach isn't communicating with them. He does so much unnecessary chattering of minutia through out the game, what he says has to turn into white noise after a while.

I mean this with all sincerity and as constructive advice. During the game, let the players play and make plays. Run your offense, but if they don't shuffle their feet, or twitch their finger the right way or they miss a pass or something, give them a chance to get into the rhythm of the game. Let them make mistakes and not worry about being shown up on the sidelines. Say less and maybe they'll hear more. Right now, the coach's constant ranting and over-coaching seems to turn into white noise. It probably has something to do with transfers too.

Describes perfectly the first two years of “Witness the Beginning.”
77SU

Postby big_dog1968 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Smurf wrote:This staff sorely needed coaches with more experience. At least on paper, Finney brings that to the table. If memory serves me correctly, Finney was hired for the Tulane job around about the time Tillette was a hot candidate for that position.

Our problem is, we keep coaching kids right onto other team's rosters. :lol:
big_dog1968

Return to The Dog Pound