This Summer 10 Years Ago - Samford Football

This Summer 10 Years Ago - Samford Football

Postby SU DOG » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm

In reading all of the great publicity we are now getting, and all the high expectations for this season, I can't help but think what it was like right now 10 years ago. Coach Sullivan had just been here one season, and we had gone 2-6 in the OVC, and 4-7 overall. That was the 7th of 8 years where we failed to even have a winning season. :( The move to the SoCon had been announced much to the horror of many of their fans. I remember a long thread on AGS-FCS Discussion entitled 'How Long Before Samford wins a SoCon Football Game'? Some guessed it would be 4 years. :lol: It was actually only the second conference game of 2008 before we won.

The hiring of Pat and the backing of the administration(which had been lacking) would prove to be the stimuli needed to get our inept program off the ground. Recruiting took on a whole new face, as Samford became more of a destination and less of an only choice.

Just a little reminder of what it was like a few years ago. There are of course many goals not yet reached. We need to win an outright SoCon title, and advance at least somewhat in the Playoffs.

GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Re: This Summer 10 Years Ago - Samford Football

Postby sudog03 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Hiring Coach Sullivan gave Samford football a legitimacy it never really had since it's return, outside a 2 year run under Terry Bowden. While his winning percentage isn't is high as other coaches Samford has had, I would argue his impact is greater than any other coach Samford has had. His ability to fundraise in order to get the fieldhouse built, winning our first SoCon championship, returning to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years, all while graduating S-A's at an almost 100% rate. Establishing a foundation for Samford football to be competitive for the forseable future well within the mission of the university. Does the new business school building get built without Pat reconnecting Gary Cooney to the university? I don't know, but I can tell you his relationship with Cooney certainly helped. Pat Sullivan was exactly the type of coach and person that Samford Football needed when he was hired.
sudog03

Postby AP » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm

sudog03 wrote:Pat Sullivan was exactly the type of coach and person that Samford Football needed when he was hired.
This times a million. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that he wasn't the "type" of person, but the singular individual Samford needed in the moment.
AP

Postby Cujo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Lest we forget, Bob Roller hired him, but only after UAB fired him (hired Watson Brown). Lol. UAB sucks.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound