Newbies Competing For PT

Newbies Competing For PT

Postby SU DOG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:00 am

First off I remember a few years ago bragging about this young LB(I think) who would be an early impact player for us. He was early all right - left the team before the end of summer camp, So, that is my track record. Now, there is little info out there about some of our players because the completed roster has not yet been posted. I did research, and used what bios I could. However, I try here to provide some interesting info here that is in addition to the official site bios. I will NOT mention every player, of course, but the ones who I think will compete the earliest. I count RS Fr. and signees as newbies.

Defense:

LBs - Laguins has been discussed, but should be in the mix.

Nathan East McCalla AL- RSFr. Was a 2** with 247 Sports. Fast, Team Captain, Iron Man Award Winner, East should be ready after a year of learning, and that experience might propel him into some PT.
Lavar Gardner Decatur GA - Signee. Todd Holcomb sports writer for the AJC, listed Gardner among Georgia's most under recruited players this year. He seemed to think that Lavar is FBS talent. He was All-State in 5A.
Dorien Gooch Tampa FL. - Signee. DNA matters. Dorien's dad Jeff was a LB who played 10 years in the NFL with the Bucs and Lions.

DL - Tae Berry Flora MS - Signee. You don't make All-State in the largest(6A) division without being pretty good. Tae was also a power lifter, and was selected for the N-S All-Star Football Game in Mississippi. At 6-2, 280 he squats 525 and still he can run a 4.98 forty. :o
Braeden Royal Tuscaloosa AL - Signee. Another son of a NFL player. Andre, former Bama great, was an NFL All-Pro.
Justin Hayes Smyrna GA - Signee. A 247 Sports 2** He was All-State Honorable Mention. Had offers from Navy, UCF, UTC, Mercer, and others.
Nelson Jordan Starkville MS - RSFr. Coach Hatcher doesn't brag on many players by name, but after ST he said that Nelson had been impressive.
In high school he played next to Kobe Jones(now at Miss State), but his position coach said it was Jordan who anchored their defense.

DBs - Only one I can think of is Christian Matthew who has been previously discussed. Lots of returnees at these positions.

Offense can wait, Not many changes there, and I'm getting sleepy.
SU DOG

Re: Newbies Competing For PT

Postby SU DOG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Point to remember is that with the new rule change, a player can get some PT and still be a RS. So we will see all these newbies. What I am attempting here is to predict the ones that we might see wind up making a significant contribution throughout the year. I confess, however, that sudog03 and samfordcircle probably know far more about this roster than I do.

OFFENSE:

Not too much opportunity for change here, as so many players return.

OL - Gavin Orr Gadsden AL - Signee. Everybody returns, but I would point out that Gavin Orr was maybe our most sought after recruit. He was a 2** rated player with 247 Sports, but almost scored a 3*** rate. He had 6 FBS offers including Troy and UAB. JSU also offered. Gavin is related to Danny Ford who was also born in Gadsden. Ford was a fine Bama player who went on to win a NC as the HC at Clemson. He still lives in South Carolina, and currently grows hemp plants :lol: No joking, he really does.
http://www.tigernet.com/e/update/Danny- ... done-30312

WRs - We are deep at this position, and I have no guess as to any newbie playing lots of time here. We got a couple of good ones that signed this year, but loads of talent return.

RB - Demarcus Ware II Olive Branch MS - Signee. Made All-State in 5A in Mississippi. Also played in the same All-Star Game as our DL signee Tay Berry. His numbers are off the chart with 2,006 yards and 35 touchdowns this past season.
It will be interesting to see if we finally do have a better running game this season. I think we might because of the returning OL we have. They should be more cohesive this time and that is one good looking group. Still haven't heard anything on Antione Sims. ANYONE?

Special Teams - Mitchell Fineran Fort Valley GA - Signee. The kicker who was second in the nation in kickoffs for touchbacks. :o Five field goals of 50 yards or more is also a nice accomplishment. Other accolades include being selected to play in an ESPN All-Star Game, rating 5***** by Kohls Kicking, and ranked in the top 30 kickers in the country. I thnk he will play a major role in special teams this year.

I'm through with this rant.
GO DOGS!!!!!
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Looking for East and Nelson to make significant contributions this season.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 pm

If his Twitter account is any indication, Sims must already be here, and readying to play. I guess we will see when the final roster comes out. This guy looks like the real deal.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound