The Athletic

The Athletic

Postby SU 97 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:09 pm

If you aren't familiar with The Athletic (theathletic.com) and are a sports fan, you should get familiar with it. They have effectively stolen some of the best sportswriters in the country from their newspapers and turned them loose to write more detailed stories on their teams. It does cost $45/year but based on the content I've seen so far, it's worth it. You can edit your feed by sport, by team, and depending on where you live, by city. They will send a daily email and all content is available via website or app.

I'm only posting because today's headline article in my email was on Devlin. Here's the link: https://theathletic.com/449321/2018/08/ ... ck-caller/. While it's focused on his duck calling, it goes in depth on him as a QB. Samford is not a school you can add individually like the big boys so I was surprised to see the article but this is quality coverage for us.
SU 97
Site Admin

Re: The Athletic

Postby sudog03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for posting 97. I'm interested to see if their model works. Seems they sure are taking on a lot of overhead. Unfortunately, just not sure there is much demand for anything in-depth. Shame really.
sudog03

Re: The Athletic

Postby SU 97 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 pm

sudog03 wrote:Thanks for posting 97. I'm interested to see if their model works. Seems they sure are taking on a lot of overhead. Unfortunately, just not sure there is much demand for anything in-depth. Shame really.

I hope people will jump on board - I'm cheap when it comes to subscribing to things and I jumped on this one. I like several of the AJC writers they poached and am looking forward to reading some of their more in-depth work. I think they are saving on overhead costs because they aren't paying for office space per se and I'm guessing most of the writers are contractual employees so there's no need for benefits. I hope the model works because the material that's being churned out by most newspaper sports pages for their online content is crap for the most part and covered in ads. The ad freedom alone will attract some people.
SU 97
Site Admin

Return to The Dog Pound