18: Idaho Vandals
19: Villanova Wildcats
20: Northern Iowa Panthers
21: Youngstown State Penguins
22: Illinois State Redbirds
23: Stony Brook Seawolves
24: Montana Grizzlies
25: Central Arkansas Bears

I vote in the AGS poll. Of course, who knows at this point. I actually hope we can finish this high or higher.
SU DOG

Re: My Top 25 Preseason Poll

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Sorry for the double post, this second was supposed to be an edit.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:43 pm

It will be interesting to see how Idaho fares. I think they won nine games in FBS last year. I am curious to see how that translates into stepping back in to FCS.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Smurf where did you get that 9 win idea? Idaho did have some nice W's, but finished 4-8.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Sorry, they were 9-4 in 2016. Time flies.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Smurf wrote:Sorry, they were 9-4 in 2016. Time flies.
The Vandals did have, what appears to be, a nice win over Colorado State in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl to end the 2016 season...but who knows about the competitive effort applied by either Team in these 3rd/4th tier bowl games...and they opened that season losing to a 4-7 FCS Team...with 8 wins sandwiched between those 2 games; 8 wins over some of the worst FBS-in-name-only Teams in the Country.

#18 is a good place to start them. I have them at #27, just behind Yale & just ahead of Richmond.

Jury is still out on how they will do transitioning up from the Sunk Belt, but it will be interesting & they do have a cool nickname.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

My top 25 will be out after week 7 when I have a reasonable basis to have an opinion.

Anything before then and a win over the number 10 preseason team may give the false impression you beat somebody (like JSU beating UTC) or a win over a not ranked team may not get the respect it deserves (like Samford win over KSU). There is no greater lie than public opinion.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Cujo wrote:My top 25 will be out after week 7 when I have a reasonable basis to have an opinion.

Anything before then and a win over the number 10 preseason team may give the false impression you beat somebody (like JSU beating UTC) or a win over a not ranked team may not get the respect it deserves (like Samford win over KSU). There is no greater lie than public opinion.

OK, but conversely, if a team is NOT ranked in a top 25 preseason poll, then it is harder for them to get recognition and credit in(especially) earlier game wins. Of course you can say that by winning they will eventually get the spot they deserve. While that's partly true, their record could be about equal with the early ranked team at that time (in say week 7), and the previously higher ranked team will normally get the nod over them. That actually could affect some Playoff at-large decisions.

As for me, I was asked by a fan of another SoCon school to please consider it, as we needed more representation for our conference. It is not an easy assignment, for those of us who take it seriously, and I have not participated in the last couple of years. The poll will be there whether I'm in it or not, so I have committed for this year. Our SID will be voting in another national poll.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 am

But if nobody is ranked until the 7+ week, there is no bias of being left out of the top 25 because nobody is in the top 25 until they have 6 or 7 game track record. It avoids the very thing you are worried about.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Cujo wrote:But if nobody is ranked until the 7+ week, there is no bias of being left out of the top 25 because nobody is in the top 25 until they have 6 or 7 game track record. It avoids the very thing you are worried about.

You are correct, but that scenario would mean there is no poll. As I stated, the poll will be there if I vote or not. Since that is the case, I just want to be able to fairly represent Samford and the SoCon.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound