I Wonder Post

I Wonder Post

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Rainy day blues maybe, iDK, but here are my five "I wonder" topics for today. I offer them without saying how I feel - I wonder how I feel about:

1. Mike Grace becoming the voice of the UAB Blazers Football Team on ESPN+?

2. The SoCon without a Media Day this year?

3. When will Seibert Stadium get desperately needed upgrades?

4. What will happen to Urban Meyer?

5. Will we schedule future football games with UNA(basketball this year)?

Yawn... and out.
SU DOG

Re: I Wonder Post

Postby The Cats » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 am

UNA has already signed 4 year home & home contracts with both JSU and Chattanooga. Too bad Samford waited too long to make a schedule with UNA.
The Cats

Postby sudog03 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 am

1. He did a great job for us, hope he does well. Not sure how many people will be searching out UAB broadcasts on ESPN+ unless related to somebody on the field.

2. Other than Gene Henley from Chattanooga and Todd Shansey from Spartanburg, not sure how many "media members" you'd have show up. I guess the Greenville paper would send somebody because it's close, and maybe the guy that covers Citadel. But, does the SoCon really need a media day for 5 members of the media to show up and coaches/SID's come too? Personally, I'd rather Hatcher and our 2 players be spending that entire day on something else than riding in a car.

3. I think we will see some upgrades for the 2019 season. Would probably be more A/V in nature for that season, but with additional improvements to come.

4. He's not a good human.

5. Just my opinion, but I'm not really interested in scheduling UNA until it benefits us to do so, and I don't see that until they establish themselves as a legitimate FCS team.

Good questions.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:14 am

1. Seems like a nice guy, but wasn’t my preferred announcing style. Often too much of a homer for me.

2. No media days is a good thing. A complete waste of time.

3. No opinion. I’m more concerned about whether we’ll win to our potential.

4. Hope he has to resign in disgrace.

5. Samford fans in basketball and football get the shaft on home game match ups out of conference. Why would we play someone who would bring a big crowd and interest when we can play shorter or Clark Atlanta as 20% of our home schedule. Growing tired of how Samford takes season ticket holders for granted when it comes to the schedule.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Don't forget those rowdy Thomas Night Hawks in Basketball. :lol:
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Ahhhh, I see now. In my pretend scenario there would be no poll until week 7. I wasn’t proposing a boycott of the poll, I was proposing no poll period.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby High Plains Drifter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm

sudog03 wrote:1. He did a great job for us, hope he does well. Not sure how many people will be searching out UAB broadcasts on ESPN+ unless related to somebody on the field.

2. Other than Gene Henley from Chattanooga and Todd Shansey from Spartanburg, not sure how many "media members" you'd have show up. I guess the Greenville paper would send somebody because it's close, and maybe the guy that covers Citadel. But, does the SoCon really need a media day for 5 members of the media to show up and coaches/SID's come too? Personally, I'd rather Hatcher and our 2 players be spending that entire day on something else than riding in a car.

3. I think we will see some upgrades for the 2019 season. Would probably be more A/V in nature for that season, but with additional improvements to come.

4. He's not a good human.

5. Just my opinion, but I'm not really interested in scheduling UNA until it benefits us to do so, and I don't see that until they establish themselves as a legitimate FCS team.

Good questions.

These days leading up to the season are murder! I hope some day we can add Samford to the schedule in football as well as men's and women's basketball, baseball, volleyball etc. I'm still a firm believer that the more nearby schools you can play, the better. Proximity and familiarity make for larger crowds which makes for better performance which makes for better recruiting which makes for better teams which makes for more revenue which makes GREAT SENSE. In a little over two weeks we can all kick it into high gear! Unfortunately for Lions fans, we open in Utah so we will have to suffer some more before we get to cheer the home team. I hope all the state teams have great seasons, even Traawy State. Good luck :!:
High Plains Drifter

Postby SU DOG » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Our record with UNA is actually 5-6-2, but we have won the last 3 meetings. The first game (Florence State vs Howard College) was played in Florence in 2013, and the Dogs won 25-6(and yes, I'm pretty sure I was at that game). The last match was at Seibert in 2002, and was Bill Gray's first full season as the Dogs HC. D-2 UNA took us to overtime before Samford averted what would have been an embarrassing loss, and won 24-21.

I seem to remember some of the away games against the Lions were played in Russellville. At least 2 Samford head coaches have also ben the HC at UNA. Wayne Grubb and Terry Bowden come to mind. Also, assistant coach(and my Tennis Coach) Bill Hyde also became the head man there.

IMO, we need to schedule them ASAP. Why? It would give us the possibility of another FCS win. Playing Shorter, or any other lesser division team does NOT help us towards at-large consideration. I'm glad the Lions are moving up. They certainly have a beautiful city to call home.
SU DOG

Postby High Plains Drifter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:13 am

I had a conversation with Cortland Finnegan while he was signing autographs for my sons when he was a rookie at Titans' training camp. He thought UNA was already D1. He couldn't believe that team lost 5 games.

Bill Hyde coached tennis?! I can't imagine that. By the time I got there, Don McBrayer was the head man. After going up against him in tennis and badminton, I knew I wasn't good enough for either. :D
High Plains Drifter

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 am

A tennis coach was needed, and the school didn't want to pay out hardly any money to hire one. Bill Hyde knew about as much about tennis as I do about astrophysics, however, we were in better shape than ANY team we played. :lol:

This actually helped me out when our team went to Florence to play the Lions. I got into a real barn-burner with my opponent. This was before tie-breakers were ever introduced, so you just played the set until somebody won by 2 games. The scores were something like 18-16, 21-19, and 15-13. I did manage to hang on for the win, and I think we had the NCAA record for the longest match. My opponent's name was John Thomas, who I think later came to UAB and became a dentist.

Donnie McBrayer was a great athlete and an even better person.
SU DOG

Next

Return to The Dog Pound