Scrimmage Today

Scrimmage Today

Postby SU DOG » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Yesterday was just a walk-through in shells, as the leather popping started this morning. Now 03 is like a coach in noticing things, while I just get a kinda overall general viewpoint. That offense is READY. They look so smooth, Hodges is Hodges, and the O-Line may be the best we have seen in many years. One thing is still lacking, and that is a better running game. HCCH said this morning that the running game MUST be better than last year if we are to reach our goals. Hmmm, sounds like we have heard this before. :lol: I can promise you that they are working on it, but it has a ways to go, IMO.

One thing I noticed is that our perimeter blocking looks better. That gives our short passes a better chance for YAC yardage.

Defense is a thing in progress. Now our tackling in general, and open field in particular looks good for this time of year. Our secondary has players that are long and VERY fast. Question marks remain, however, at LB, and on the D-Line. We do return 3 starters up front, but front 4 depth is a BIG concern, and inexperience at LB is also concerning. Both areas have taIent, so I do expect the D to improve as the year goes on as they did last year, but they need to do it quickly. Some kids are just going to have to step up, and leadership has got to be established.

I like the way the ball flies off of the foot of our new place kicker. Some good competition there. Punting? IDK. Hatcher's comments on video:

https://samfordsports.com/
SU DOG

Re: Scrimmage Today

Postby Cujo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Run game: if we are going to be successful, we need to change some schemes.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Smurf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Run game: If your personnel is changing over time via graduation, position shuffling, etc., and the results are still sub par, then wherein does the problem lie?
BOE.
Smurf

Postby AP » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Cujo wrote:Run game: if we are going to be successful, we need to change our DNA as a program.
Fixed for you. Just sling the ball around. If we had a great RB, we'd run him 30 times a game until his legs fell off. See, e.g.:
Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 2.13.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 2.13.57 PM.png (67.91 KiB) Viewed 329 times

Let 8 throw it 50 times a game to five different receiving targets in 8 different areas of the field and call that balance. Let's stress teams vertically and horizontally, hope we don't get it third and 2 from the 12, and see if we can't break the scoreboard. I'd rather do that than take the ball out of our best player's hands and put it in our 8th-best skill player's hands (at least at this point).
AP

Postby Cujo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm

For what its worth, I have no idea if we have altered our schemes. My reference to "change" was regarding what I saw last year. Don't even get me started on how we run the draw (it is sometimes called "a delay" for a reason).
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby samfordcircle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm

The team looked good today. I was impressed by the talent on the field, much improved from this same time last year. With a little luck, I like our chances. I was surprised at how good the defense looked at times, to be this early. A lot of potential there. OL looked really good and the backs ran the ball better. A little more aggressive. Hodges was right on, receivers still dropping passes, but man do they look good. Also Liam Welch is the next gunslinger. Hope they keep working and take it to the field in the games. Nice job Samford Bulldogs!
samfordcircle

Postby sudog03 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 pm

AP wrote:
Cujo wrote:Run game: if we are going to be successful, we need to change our DNA as a program.
Fixed for you. Just sling the ball around. If we had a great RB, we'd run him 30 times a game until his legs fell off. See, e.g.:
Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 2.13.57 PM.png

Let 8 throw it 50 times a game to five different receiving targets in 8 different areas of the field and call that balance. Let's stress teams vertically and horizontally, hope we don't get it third and 2 from the 12, and see if we can't break the scoreboard. I'd rather do that than take the ball out of our best player's hands and put it in our 8th-best skill player's hands (at least at this point).

Eerily similar to what I told an esteemed board member early today. I think opposing teams almost breathe a sigh of relief when we try a run play. Kind of like how I feel when Wofford tries a pass.
sudog03

Postby samfordcircle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Also a shout out to Coach Ross Newton and the position coaches for their efforts in leading recruiting the past few years. The talent pool is coming to fruition. Great Job Guys.
samfordcircle

Postby AP » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 am

sudog03 wrote:Eerily similar to what I told an esteemed board member early today. I think opposing teams almost breathe a sigh of relief when we try a run play. Kind of like how I feel when Wofford tries a pass.
Great minds dawg.
AP

Postby Cujo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 am

Watching last season’s highlights, so much of our offense is Hodges adlibbing as he avoids the defensive rush. Very few situations where he sits comfortably in the pocket and passes to a receiver running a route. I sure hope our line is much improved. We looked more like backyard mayhem than well oiled machine.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound