Important Information

Re: Important Information

Postby Smurf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:33 pm

The cost is irrelevant. We all can afford $4.95 a month. It's more the principle. If you are going to charge folks for video feed, fine, but at least offer a radio play-by-play. It's as if we are regressing for the sake of progressing. I don't think it is lot to ask for a university to offer a radio broadcast. If you want to keep up with the game you either pay for a video feed or you do not experience the game. This is certainly a paradigm shift. Be careful not to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. People are watching less sports now than they did just a few years ago.

And I know that the viewing habits of kids today varies greatly from that of their forefathers, but I don't think this pricing plan will exactly endear itself to the students. Some will pay for it perhaps, but there will be quite a few, perhaps many, who will opt not to spend their money on watching away games. Be that as it may, the university might want to have a sort of away gameday experience somewhere on campus where the game can be broadcasted on a large screen to a decent audience. It would help fill a void and may help to promote more interest in the program. Maybe this is already in the works, I don't know. I also think having this included as part of your season ticket package would be a small, but gracious add on.

I would also be curious about the quality of this broadcast. Will there be parts of the game that are unavailable because of technical difficulties like would sometimes happen on ESPN3? If you are paying for the same product that you were not paying for previously, from a consumer perspective, the quality of that should theoretically be better. I wouldn't expect it to be in 4K, but I would expect it to be broadcast with technical interruptions, and I don't think that expectation is unreasonable. There will apparently be no radio broadcast so if the video broadcast goes kaput like it has numerous times in the past then you are SOL.

I would be curious, as Cujo noted, where the money is going. Although we do maintain a relationship with ESPN, I do believe that the Entertainment and Sports Programing Network probably has a nice little tug on the unversity's short and curlies. Almost every school to some degree bows to ESPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes, your 4.95 a month will allow you to watch all of the programming provided on ESPN+. For example, 3 of the 4 women's soccer conference road games will be on the ESPN platform.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Just to correct myself, that may be $4.99/mo. Again, this is to each his own, but to me personally, I have spent more than that several times following our teams on other schools' pay sites. I remember paying UAB for baseball, and maybe Troy, and maybe some basketball games. Stupid ? Yeah, probably so, but our athletics is high on my retirement list of hobbies. Also, watching stats is just PAINFUL to me. Audio doesn't get it for me either.
SU DOG

Postby paladinfan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am

SU DOG wrote:Just to correct myself, that may be $4.99/mo. Again, this is to each his own, but to me personally, I have spent more than that several times following our teams on other schools' pay sites. I remember paying UAB for baseball, and maybe Troy, and maybe some basketball games. Stupid ? Yeah, probably so, but our athletics is high on my retirement list of hobbies. Also, watching stats is just PAINFUL to me. Audio doesn't get it for me either.

It beats 1 or 2 televised games a year on "SoCon Saturday."
paladinfan

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound