Reflection Sunday

Reflection Sunday

Postby SU DOG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Disclaimer - This is more of a blog than a post, so go ahead and click the X if you wish, and I wouldn't blame you. Sunday afternoons(after church) are for some strange reason my time to reminisce. This does have to do with Samford football, however.

I recall October 27, 2007 the day that the Dogs last played Tennessee Tech. It was Watson Brown vs Pat Sullivan - two coaches who had been at UAB, and there was really no love lost between these two. The two schools were very similar as far as football was concerned having gone 2-2 the last 4 seasons. This game was in the second half of the season, and neither team was any threat to take the OVC title.

I drove up(by myself) to see this game partly because of my interest in this coaching situation. The game started out like it would be a blowout for the Golden Eagles. The first quarter ended 17-7 TTU. The Bulldogs responded in quarter #2, however, and it was 31-30 Samford at the half. Bob Roller invited me to accompany him into the locker room at the half, and I jumped at the chance. I remember some big lineman addressing the team, and he was saying how important this game was for coach, and encouraging his teammates to win it for Coach Sullivan. The second half would be a crazy offensive explosion fest for both squads, and the lead would see-saw for the rest of the game. Samford scored the winning TD with 52 seconds left to make the final score 59-52.

Now here is the point of my story. This past season, Tenn Tech was 1-10 which gave them their 7th straight losing season. :shock: While we have yet to win a Playoff Game, I am SO thankful that Samford has enjoyed SO much more success than TTU.

Thank You for reading.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound