Embarrassing Loss

Embarrassing Loss

Postby SU DOG » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm

To lose 4-0 is quite the beat-down, even against Auburn. I know our team is young, and I know we can trust the proven coaching leadership. Any of you soccer gurus have any other inside info?
SU DOG

Re: Embarrassing Loss

Postby SAM1014 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I didn’t watch but Todd likes to tinker with the lineup in the beginning of the season. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. That’s just my guess though
SAM1014

Postby Cujo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm

SU DOG wrote:Any of you soccer gurus have any other inside info?

If you want my opinion, you can use my posting name, SUD. We all know you meant me. ;-)

I watched over half of the game. Auburn much more athletic and aggressive. Samford is looking for The keeper to replace an all-conference starter for 4 years (this was basically a first game real collegiate game for both keepers). The back line was under pressure because the midfield was a step or two slow and had trouble holding the ball. Yelton's one forward attack requires an all-conference player like Mac or Jermaine to have any chance in my humble opinion. We do not appear to have a Mac or a Jermaine in the lineup this year. At least, I didn't see anyone I thought who was going to step up and be that kind of player last night. Those were two special players. Our offensive attack broke down in the final third--when you don't throw numbers forward because you are worried about being able to defend, it further complicates things. Now, don't take this as criticism, a lot of our problems were created by a very good Auburn team. They have some serious talent.

It was one game a lot of players being throw into action against one of the best teams they'll face all season. Yelton tinkers with his lineup and his formations in the non-conference schedule (he's won more conference titles than any coach at Samford, as far as I can tell, so I'm not arguing with him). That said, with his talent this year I don't think he's going to get away with playing one striker. He's going to have to tinker with his formation. Offense is going to be in short supply early in the schedule, at least (now watch us put up 10 on Baylor).

I would not call the loss embarrassing.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Good stuff cujo. Maybe a "concerning loss" would have been better to say, or maybe not even that, considering your info. I was a couple hundred miles away yesterday, and did not get to see any of the match even online. I know so very little about this sport, but still enjoy the Samford wins.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 am

6-1 loss last night, very easily could have been 9 or 10 to 1. Most goals allowed since at least 2003 (got tired of researching at that point). Gave up a goal within first 35 seconds.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm

I didn’t watch, but from what I have seen, this team lacks on field leadership and an identity. In a way, they appear to be going through the motions without a purpose.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:23 am

UAB lost to Auburn 6 to 0. Right now, Samford is losing to UAB 0-2. That would be an embarrassing loss.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 am

4 games. Only 1 goal from open play. Defense hasn't been much better. Lots of room for improvement.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound