Samford Band

Samford Band

Postby SU DOG » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 pm

I miss bulldogblog's band reports that used to inform us about this time every year. From this video, it looks like we will still be very small, but these kids seem to be excited, and believe their product is much improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... FBFPmLRHqw
SU DOG

Re: Samford Band

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm

The band has been small for the last 30 years. I don't expect it to change in the next 30. It is a shame since a large band would add so much to the game day atmosphere.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby The Cats » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Smurf wrote:The band has been small for the last 30 years. I don't expect it to change in the next 30. It is a shame since a large band would add so much to the game day atmosphere.

If you don't have band scholarships, add them.
The Cats

Postby Cujo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Nothing that throwing money at wouldn’t solve. Like everything else the board proposes, there has to be some other guy or gal out there with a lot of cash who will pay for what we want. Right?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby samfordcircle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 am

They do a great job with so little support. We are thankful for the band, but it is a missed opportunity for outreach, student involvement....... and not just at football games. Church folk love bands and music!

"Praise the LORD.Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, Praise him with timbrel and dancing, praise him with the strings and pipe, Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals."

IMHO
samfordcircle

Postby bamadog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:42 pm

It's got a be a priority from the top. I remember during my time at Samford that there were a lot of band kids on campus that didn't play anymore because it just wasn't as good as the program they came from OR because they just didn't think that it would fit in with the rigor of their academic programs. A lot of band kids on campus at Samford are coming from schools where the bands are in the hundreds -- it's not like JSU where there are two or three generations of band tradition or Bama where people are in band just to get to the games. When I was there, my $1500 band scholarship also required me to take private lessons, participate in wind ensemble, jazz band, and two other groups. I hope it's not that way now. Dr. Heath is doing a GREAT job with the band, make no doubt, but you've got to have a carrot to dangle.
bamadog

Postby SU DOG » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 pm

I think they did a fine job last night. They sounded somewhat better to me. They just need to get more kids. GREAT info bamadog.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound