Week 1 Socon Thoughts

Re: Week 1 Socon Thoughts

Postby samfordcircle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:58 pm

wcugrad95 wrote:FUBeAR was referring to posts made on the WCU board about a number of the Newberry guys being RECRUITED by FBS schools. Some posts made it sound like the Newberry QB had heavy interest by FSU, but I have no idea. I also saw where they signed 51 recruits (yes - 51!!!) last year, so they are a different (don't know if they are better) team than they were last year. I do know from now watching that game 2 times that Newberry is a whole heck-of-a lot better than some of the other OOC games Western has had - I expect they are better than Gardner-Webb and VMI - who are Western's next 2 opponents.

That is a lot of non-Samford talk on the Samford board, so apologies about that. I think this was part WCU being over-confident and Newberry being much better than at least the Western players thought. As Samford saw last year with West Alabama, there is plenty of talent at the D2 level. I am going to try and reserve judgment on many of the SoCon teams until we see them play more SoCon-caliber opponents over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Gotcha. Welcome to the board. FuBear is one of my favorites. He and I both favor the Olines and Dlines. You wont find many folks who know the trenches and game better than FuBear.
samfordcircle

Postby wcugrad95 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Agree on FUBeAR - very knowledgeable about the trenches. And he certainly likes to inject his brand of humor to keep it interesting!

I tend to try and lurk and read on most boards (been here many times but never registered until today). I'll do my best to post strictly about WCU on topics that pertain to them (or when they are being brought up - I'll try to not make it by me unless you are playing the Cats), or just on the SoCon in general. I see a lot of the "regulars" from the boards of Samford, Furman, Mercer, Wofford, and WCU on several boards so I try to browse as much as I can just to stay informed.

And maybe I am an oddity like FUBeAR with his love of Furman and Mercer. I oddly started out playing football for Furman, but an injury and a position move led me to make the decision to stop playing football and I found myself transferring back in-state to good 'ole WCU. Well - not like FUBeAR, I pull for Furman a lot less than he pulls for Mercer :D
wcugrad95

Postby SU DOG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Glad to have you wcugrad95. I think you have often been one of my favorite posters over on AGS. Sometimes you bring a voice of reasoning to a discussion there that has grown rather warped with homerism and ridiculousness. There are many on this Board whose #2 team is Western Carolina. I'm also one of those, and have enjoyed several trips to Cullowhee. Post often.
SU DOG

Postby FUBeAR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:23 am

wcugrad95 wrote:Agree on FUBeAR - very knowledgeable about the trenches. And he certainly likes to inject his brand of humor to keep it interesting!

I tend to try and lurk and read on most boards (been here many times but never registered until today). I'll do my best to post strictly about WCU on topics that pertain to them (or when they are being brought up - I'll try to not make it by me unless you are playing the Cats), or just on the SoCon in general. I see a lot of the "regulars" from the boards of Samford, Furman, Mercer, Wofford, and WCU on several boards so I try to browse as much as I can just to stay informed.

And maybe I am an oddity like FUBeAR with his love of Furman and Mercer. I oddly started out playing football for Furman, but an injury and a position move led me to make the decision to stop playing football and I found myself transferring back in-state to good 'ole WCU. Well - not like FUBeAR, I pull for Furman a lot less than he pulls for Mercer :D
We'll add that 3rd SoCon school to your rootin' profile after you visit the H&H Diner ( http://www.handhsoulfood.com/ - I recommend the Midnight Rider) & Capricorn Studios ( http://savecapricorn.com/) with DD on 10/20. You'll make a fine PapaBearDinAmount!

95 knows his ball and he, like me, is not too much of a homer. Got a little wit to him too. They don't allow that here though, 95. Cujo, as (self-appointed) Sergeant-of-Arms, runs a no-nonsense fan board...so you'll feel right at home (http://catamount.boards.net/board/4/football).

By the way...Newberry's QB's other offer was from (NAIA) Union College in KY and he had no issues with grades/test scores - https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article44483334.html - He signed with Newberry late - 4/20/16 and had 0 "Stars" - https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Ruff-78033. Newberry was 5-6 last year and lost to The Citadel by 3 scores...who lost to LAST YEAR's WCU Team by 12. But, y'all do y'all - no reason to let facts get in the way of a good justification narrative.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 am

Wait, what?! What do I have to do with this thread?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby wcugrad95 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Back to SoCon thoughts.....

I have Samford at #1, Wofford and Furman as the next grouping, VMI last, and everybody else as a pile of "I dunno yet". After this weekend, I expect Wofford to be 2-0 in conference, and if Furman beats a ranked Elon, and Samford loses but is still respectable I'll probably have them all 3 tied for #1 next week. I will probably still not know much about the others unless Chatty puts it on Citadel.

Go Bulldogs (at least this week!).
wcugrad95

Postby FUBeAR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Oh yeah...I’ve been meaning to ask you Sammy guys...

What’s the story with this Communist Starting Punter that y’all are trying to hide by not putting him on the online roster?

Work...er...I mean...’Student’ visa issues?
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:31 pm

As the non-self styled, self-appointed Sgt. at Arm's, I think "gun grabbing" fascist state might be more apt than communist.

But, they gave us ACDC, Little River Band and, AP's favorite, Air Supply.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Cujo wrote:As the non-self styled, self-appointed Sgt. at Arm's, I think "gun grabbing" fascist state might be more apt than communist.

But, they gave us ACDC, Little River Band and, AP's favorite, Air Supply.
Nope. James Dean Beddingfield of Dentsville, SC, perennial 3rd Team FB for the Furman Paladins from 1979-1982, who was called home WAY too early (RIP), because The Head Coach obviously needed some additional levity, once told me, “FUBeAR, there are only 2 countries in this world - ‘Merica and Communism.” I’ve embraced the simplicity of his world view ever since.

So, Samford & Mercer are both starting Communist Punters this year, but Mercer isn’t trying to hide theirs. Maybe this will be helpful for y’all - http://www.snownichols.com/

And, ain’t nothing wrong with a little Air Supply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdZEumNRmI, even if it is Communist music.
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Cujo

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound