Basketball schedule

Basketball schedule

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 pm

https://samfordsports.com/news/2018/9/5 ... edule.aspx

This may be the best Samford home schedule in over a decade and the most realistic basketball schedule we have seen in recent memory.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Basketball schedule

Postby 77SU » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Just pray we don’t have a repeat performance of our last game at Ohio State.
77SU

Postby Smurf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:37 pm

I scanned through one of the basketball magazines while I was at the store yesterday. If memory serves me correctly, we were picked seventh.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Heck I''m just hoping we don't have a repeat performance of our last game against JSU. If we could finish 7th, showing steady improvement throughout the season, and keep most of our roster in tact, I'd run like I stole something with that. Sadly enough.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 pm

sudog03 wrote:Heck I''m just hoping we don't have a repeat performance of our last game against JSU. If we could finish 7th, showing steady improvement throughout the season, and keep most of our roster in tact, I'd run like I stole something with that. Sadly enough.

Well, this will be Padgett's fifth season and we have yet to finish higher than seventh or to win more than a third of our league games so finishing seventh sounds about right to me.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby sudog03 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:23 pm

That program is wondering through the wilderness for sure. We've only finished better than 7th once since joining the league (5th in 12-13) and have yet to finish with a .plus 500 SoCon record since joining. My expectations have effectively been beaten down.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Ok, but what about the schedule from a fan's standpoint? There is nothing to talk about when it comes to fan expectation or how we are going to do. Nowhere to go but up. But at least we have some decent teams coming to play here. We just need to add Troy, South Alabama, Ga. St., Tenn Tech. and we are making some smart choices in scheduling. Return trips next year to KSU, JSU and UNA (I'm assuming) with some more Al., Ga. and Tn. teams on the home schedule and you have some decent basketball out of conference that people within driving distance may give a rip about.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm

The KSU and JSU are returns from last year. I think both of those have been on the schedule for the last four seasons. We've done a good job scheduling in-state teams, IMO. Just finished a two year series with South. Other than the Belmont contest, which is the best home game we've had in a while, looks about the same to me. 2 D2's (UNA basically is one still), KSU which we've been playing (and stinks), but the rest of those D1 home games (outside of JSU/Belmont) are some real dregs. I mean SCSU, KSU, Morehead and Houston Baptist were combined 34-77 last season. But, I much rather play those than try to play 4 guarantee games on the road, like we did last season. I'm glad to see the Belmont game and the decision to play fewer guarantee games and replace those with winnable D1 games. Other than that, looks about the same to me.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm

UNA is "basically D2". Is it D2 or is it D1 transitioning?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm

They are D1 transitioning with a new coach who fired every player but 2.
sudog03

Next

Return to The Dog Pound