Over/under on passing yards

Over/under on passing yards

Postby Cujo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm not Vegas, but I'm going to set the line at 350.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Over/under on passing yards

Postby sudog03 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Great question. I'll take the under.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm feeling froggy this morning (or Bulldoggy). I think we may be in for a Miss. St. type game. I hope our coaches recognize that FSU is going to be uber aggressive and at risk of overplaying the flow of the play on defense. I'd like to see some offensive plays designed to take advantage of over-aggressiveness. I'm also envisioning our quick little receivers doing some running after the catch in the secondary. I'd love to hear some boo birds in the first half.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Hope your right. I see it going about like most of our FBS games. Will be competitive going into 3rd quarter when the quality of depth starts to show. Only way it gets ugly is if we give up multiple special teams plays. Unfortunately, Phillip Sirmon, Miss State DC that day, isn't calling plays for the Seminoles, or anybody else for that matter.
sudog03

Postby Smurf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 pm

sudog03 wrote:Hope your right. I see it going about like most of our FBS games. Will be competitive going into 3rd quarter when the quality of depth starts to show. Only way it gets ugly is if we give up multiple special teams plays. Unfortunately, Phillip Sirmon, Miss State DC that day, isn't calling plays for the Seminoles, or anybody else for that matter.

Yep...

The lack of depth in these FCS-FBS games really starts to show in the fourth quarter. In order to have a really good chance to win we will need to head into the fourth quarter with a double digit lead. Turnovers can help mitigate the talent/depth discrepancy. FSU will have to help us out in the department for us to be in a position to win.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby Cujo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Well, I got what I imagined, but I never imagined we’d be up with less than 5 minutes left or that we’d have 5 turnovers and still be in the game. Hodges looked brilliant at times even drawing comparisons to Aaron Rogers and Brett Farvre, but he also looked very human at times. We have to clean up the picks and do a better job of managing the game. We missed a couple of TDs and we just can’t turn the ball over in the redzone like that. Sometimes the gunslinger has to become the officer managing partner. Notwithstanding, Hodges impressed a lot of people last night.

Gooden was a beast in the ACC. We aren’t talking a guy who is good at the FCS level, he was dominating the FSU line. Our whole defensive line was in beast mode. I thought the linebackers looked good too, although it drives me crazy that our MO is to cover receivers with linebackers. It is what we do and we get exposed. They played like beasts against the run. Looking at the bright side, when Gooden got ejected (and it was the right call) it meant he was not going to get hurt the rest of the game and we’d have him in the second half against Mercer. Hate that we won’t have him for the first half, but Granger is capable and did a good job. I thought our defensive tackles played outstanding—FSU got no push against them. Re safeties, I hope Freeman is ok and we get him back (by the way, his hit on the FSU return man was sick—i mean when I saw that leg flopping as the player rolled to a stop I almost got sick).

We have found a place kicker! I’m going to have to learn his name, but dude is an answer to a decade or more long prayer.

Kelvin McKnight was the best player on the field. FSU couldn’t defend him. We were a couple of throws on the money away from McKnight having 4 TDs.

20 is running hard and looked good, but two fumbles in two games . . . that has to stop.

I assume Hodges punting was a strategy to avoid FSU setting up a punt return. Right? I trust we have a punter and we do not plan to rely on Hodges for that in FCS games. Anyway, I thought it was a brilliant strategy and he did a really good job.
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:17 pm

One more observation, watch Lloyd (98) pancake block some hapless FSU player on the rushing TD. We may need to reconsider this defensive line thing.
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Looking at that highlight again, I’m not sure that’s Lloyd. That is #98. I think that might be freshman Gavin Orr. Geez! If that’s Orr, he’s a beast.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Great analysis. So glad to be wrong about the passing yardage. I'll add a couple of things. You mentioned the play of our DL, thought our OL played really well. 60 pass attempts, zero sacks. If can play with that kind of intensity on a consistent basis we are legitimate FCS title contenders. Yes, I just said that.
sudog03

Return to The Dog Pound