Kennesaw State—pathetic schedule

Re: Kennesaw State—pathetic schedule

Postby SU DOG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Smurf wrote:These non scholly "FCS" programs damage the credibility of the entire division. The NCAA should have kept the Morehead States and Georgetowns of the world in D-III in football.

Smurf, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I have said the very same thing. We do have to realize, however, that the last 2 years one of those non-schollies has advanced to the SECOND round of the FCS Playoffs. :shock:
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Just feel that is message board fodder. Is an unwritten rule that has proven exceptions a rule? Austin Peay had 8 "d1" wins last season, 7 in the OVC and 1 against Morehead State. The committee fairly weighed that schedule and excluded them. Austin Peay does way more damage to their playoff hopes being in the OVC scheduling Morehead State and Presby than we do playing a D2.
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:18 pm

sudog03 wrote:Just feel that is message board fodder. Is an unwritten rule that has proven exceptions a rule? Austin Peay had 8 "d1" wins last season, 7 in the OVC and 1 against Morehead State. The committee fairly weighed that schedule and excluded them. Austin Peay does way more damage to their playoff hopes being in the OVC scheduling Morehead State and Presby than we do playing a D2.

So you are saying a win over D-2 Shorter which is a bottom feeder in D-2 will be just as significant as a win over Morehead? OK, we can just agree to disagree. BTW, I'm not sure, but I think that Presbyterian this year is still a Big South member and aren't considered in the non-scholly group.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 pm

No, I said Austin Peay, being in the OVC, does more damage to their chances scheduling Morehead and Presby than we do damage to ours by scheduling a D2. I'll add, I do not think our playoff chances would be enhanced much at all by switching out a D2 for a non-scholarship D1. Especially if we continue to schedule teams such as UCA and KSU.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:27 pm

SUDog, I don't think he's saying that at all. I think he's saying that an OVC schedule AND scheduling Morehead does them no good. Of course, Furman didn't help the SoCon case out any by getting tattooed by Elon. We won't either if we get sitched blapped by Kennesaw.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm

OK, and what I am saying basically is that we should never schedule a D-2 team if our goal is to make the Playoffs. It is my belief that even a Pioneer League team is better. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D Look, there are good points by every post in this thread, and this issue is interesting but not of primary importance. The BIG looming question is how we respond Saturday. I really need to be in a better mood.
SU DOG

Postby paladinfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 pm

SU DOG wrote:OK, and what I am saying basically is that we should never schedule a D-2 team if our goal is to make the Playoffs. It is my belief that even a Pioneer League team is better. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D Look, there are good points by every post in this thread, and this issue is interesting but not of primary importance. The BIG looming question is how we respond Saturday. I really need to be in a better mood.

Hey, it could be worse. Your team could have lost badly and then had a game cancelled and have to sit on it for two weeks.
paladinfan

Postby SU DOG » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:59 pm

paladinfan wrote:
SU DOG wrote:OK, and what I am saying basically is that we should never schedule a D-2 team if our goal is to make the Playoffs. It is my belief that even a Pioneer League team is better. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D Look, there are good points by every post in this thread, and this issue is interesting but not of primary importance. The BIG looming question is how we respond Saturday. I really need to be in a better mood.

Hey, it could be worse. Your team could have lost badly and then had a game cancelled and have to sit on it for two weeks.

From what I saw of those 2 Fr. QBs, these 2 weeks might actually be a blessing. :lol: I do understand, however, that Harris Roberts might be available this Saturday. I wonder how our local kid, Hamp Sisson from Mt. Brook, is looking?

BTW - I also think it is deblorable what Colgate is doing in wheaseling out of the game. FU and the SoCon needed that game, IMO.
SU DOG

Postby paladinfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 pm

SU DOG wrote:
paladinfan wrote:

From what I saw of those 2 Fr. QBs, these 2 weeks might actually be a blessing. :lol: I do understand, however, that Harris Roberts might be available this Saturday. I wonder how our local kid, Hamp Sisson from Mt. Brook, is looking?

BTW - I also think it is deblorable what Colgate is doing in wheaseling out of the game. FU and the SoCon needed that game, IMO.

I don't disagree with you. Furman has had a turnover problem the first two games, and a surprising number of those have been QB fumbles. The two young QBs are talented, but look like they are letting the game get too fast for them right now. I'm interested to see how they do against a team that isn't Clemson or a top 15 FCS squad.

Re: Roberts, I have no idea what the team plans to do with him. I think he brings leadership and a veteran presence to a young offense, though if he has an injury to his hand, what option do you have?

I have never seen Sisson play other than on his recruiting film, but he's sitting at fourth on the depth chart behind an injured senior and two freshmen, so I doubt we will see much of him.
paladinfan

Postby DawgFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Kennesaw State’s schedule may not be all that strong. But, unfortunately the game this Saturday night won’t do much to help them if they are on the bubble for a playoff spot. Looking at their roster you would think they might be the team from Alabama. Kudos to their staff for being successful in the Birmingham metro as well as the state.
DawgFan

PreviousNext

Return to The Dog Pound