Mercer/Samford

Mercer/Samford

Postby Cujo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Samford/Mercer finished 2-2 last night in soccer. Interesting development during the game. After Samford threw a ball in after an injury (giving the ball back to Mercer in the obligatory show of sportswomanship), a Mercer player kicked the ball back to the Mercer keeper who apparently was thinking about the Taylor Swift concert and picked the ball up in the penalty area. A brain fart. The ref appropriately called a handball in the box and awarded a free kick from inside the area (not sure why it wasn’t a PK, but I’ve never understood that though I’ve watched hundreds of soccer games and seen it called both ways—I’m guessing it has to do with whether there was a scoring opportunity in the judgment of the ref). Samford lines up, Mercer builds a wall and it looks like Samford has a gift opportunity to win this thing. But, then the Samford player under direction from our coach intentionally and softly kicks the ball out the back line nowhere near the goal. Apparently Yelton determined it would not be sporting to attempt to score under those circumstances. I’m reminded of that Mercer game a couple of years ago when Mercer’s coach did not display the same degree of sportsmanship in the final game of the season with the conference championship on the line and after the refs had called the game and the Samford players and students rushed the field in celebration. It really is kind of impressive when your believe your coach has more class than the other teams, but then you get to see it. I watched the post-game handshake on the video (I was not in attendance at the game) and Tony (Mercer’s coach) appeared to be overwhelmed by the show of class—he had a look of astonishment that Yelton would not have tried to win under those circumstances, which led me to speculate that maybe the thought would not have crossed his mind. Samford’s unbeaten streak in soccer continues going on for some ridiculous number of games after that tie, but in my heart I think Samford was more of a winner last night for more reasons than the result on the score board.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Mercer/Samford

Postby AP » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Yelton is a special dude. Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't have known otherwise.
AP

Postby SU DOG » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 pm

I was watching it and I thought we would win with that opportunity. I know so little about soccer, however, that I didn't know what had happened until the announcers explained. CLASSY to say the least. Also glad that the Mercer player later returned after what looked like a serious injury. Good post cujo, and thanks for giving even more insight.
SU DOG

Postby 77SU » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 pm

As Mrs. 77 said, “Sometimes the best sermon has no words.”
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 pm

The rule is in-direct free kick if keeper handles a back-pass (from a kick or throw-in) inside the box. I have seen a few instances in soccer when the ref has incorrectly awarded a penalty where the player would intentionally miss. Found one where an out field player handled a ball in the box because he heard an inadvertent whistle and thought it was halftime and picked the ball up. I didn't see the play, but if it was strictly a mistake on the part of the Mercer goalie I think you have to try and punish the mistake. If the ref incorrectly ruled the pass came off the Mercer's players foot, when it was actually played off the chest/head, I get it. But strictly a mistake on an opponent's part? You gotta try to punish that. And yes, Yelton is a great guy, not taking away anything from his character. If we get a pass interference on the last play Saturday night, should Hatcher have taken a knee?
sudog03

Postby SU DOG » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 pm

I sure don't know the rules, but I thought that the injured Mercer player was a factor in Yelton's decision. :?:
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:53 pm

I'm sure it did. I just think you've settled the sportsmanship issue when throwing the ball into the Mercer outfield player. WIth her electing to kick it back to the keeper, and the keeper handling the ball, for me that's fair play.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm with 03 on this. We gave them the ball. At what point are they responsible for their own actions?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound