Hey Bulldog—Samford’s search for an identity

Hey Bulldog—Samford’s search for an identity

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 pm

https://youtu.be/M4vbJQ-MrKo

https://youtu.be/sxqzMYjjkW8

https://youtu.be/oeBdeGNbFXg

We’ve had “Ruff em” (officially stupid), we’ve had “go Bulldogs” (or “go dogs”, pretty good, but not really unique to the University), we have (present tense) “All for Samford” (maybe in 1920 when raccoon coats were the rage— or 1970s off cape code “tah tah b!tchs, it’s all for Samford and yacht rock radio—I’ll have another Lowenbraugh”!), we’ve had “bow wow Bulldogs” (this was as close as we got to Romper Room marketing) and a host of other “official” (straight out the marketing trailer) attempts to get a tag line that sticks for Samford. As I walked up to the game Saturday and encountered Samford fans, not a one of those phrases was uttered, except maybe “go Bulldogs”. As I reflected upon it, I thought, “how stupid would I feel to encounter a Samford fan and say ‘All for Samford.’” Maybe if I was wearing tennis whites and had a sweater tied around my neck. It lacks pizzazz. It lacks the brief easy roll off the tongue machismo of a “roll tide” or “war eagle” or “Hoty Toty”. I know what you are thinking, its this stupid tag line that has doomed our 2018 sports campaign. It ain’t working. And you would be right. Its time to can the yacht fan phrase and get a classic rock and roll riff for a phrase.

Which begs the question, why have we never gone with the Beatles “Hey Bulldog”? How easy would it be to say “hey Bulldog” (you can make it plural if you like) followed by a reply of “wig wham” (if you can’t find a word that ryhymes in the song, just make one up)? The band could adopt the riff (which was made by a band for marching bands—it’s a rocking riff made for first downs and touchdowns)? It is a solid, driving, sports type riff. It was good enough for Dave Grohl to induct the Beatles into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Underground Samford slang. It’s rebellious. It’s counter culture. Its banned in Utah by the Mormon church. Its like a tattoo on the arm of a mountain brook debutante wearing a sleeveless dress. I know, I know, it’s only rock and roll, but I like it.

Ask yourself, next time Samford scores a TD, do you want to say “All for Samford” (“see you chaps at the club for a wine spritzer”) or do you want to say “HEY BULLDOG!”?
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Hey Bulldog—Samford’s search for an identity

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:01 pm

I just wanna score a TD.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:07 pm

sudog03 wrote:I just wanna score a TD.

HEY Bulldog!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Totally agree. At UGa, it’s “Go Dawgs” and the response is “Sic ‘em.” You already mentioned the Bama & Auburn ‘things.’

I tried for years to get “Go Bears” with a response / tagline of “Maul ‘em!” going at Mercer...cuz Bears maul, y’know...and it’s short and catchy, etc.

I failed. One of many times (past, present, and future). Good luck in your quest.

How ‘bout “Go Dogs!” “Bully ‘em”...and “Wooly Bully” as the theme music. Probably not...

GO BEARS! MAUL ‘EM!!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby 77SU » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Just saw the emphasis on Twitter about someone prominent on campus is now officially #AllForSAMford.

Snap a picture, follow, tag, etc. and first 5 students get 2 free tickets to the NBA preseason game between Rockets and Grizzlies.

Interesting they can’t give away something Samford related that students would really want. Since when are the Rockets and Grizzlies #AllForSAMford?
77SU

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm

#nothingtodowithsamford
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Seeing we had a record student attendance at our first football game, maybe, just maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt on marketing to students?
sudog03

Postby 77SU » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:34 pm

On the flip side, maybe there’s not anything Samford-related or branded that the students would make the effort to try to win? Obviously the winners enjoyed getting the tickets and participating in the promotion.
77SU

Postby Cujo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm

77SU wrote:On the flip side, maybe there’s not anything Samford-related or branded that the students would make the effort to try to win? Obviously the winners enjoyed getting the tickets and participating in the promotion.

Winning! Hey Bulldogs!
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound