WCU game

WCU game

Postby SAM1014 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:37 pm

What’s the bulldog club tent serving for lunch? We should’ve known the season was going to go terribly when our first meal was chicken pot pie
SAM1014

Re: WCU game

Postby Cujo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 pm

I still blame it on the cartoon. Have I shared my feelings about the cartoon before? Cartoon, chicken pot pie and Doug Jones—the axis of evil (it may be that crappy music they find for all their videos—I know I’m old, but . . . would it hurt too much to play a little Foghat every now and then?).

Go Samford. Beat the Catamounts!
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby 77SU » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Where’s Butkuss, since he said he would take care of the weekly picks?

Is he coaching the O-line down in Lee County, getting them ready for Saturday’s re-enactment of their 3-2 game from 20 years ago?
77SU

Postby Cujo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Samford and Auburn have something in common besides Butkuss and that is, no offense intended, no offense.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Just heard a hilarious proposal for fan recognition day at Saturday's game. If you are a season ticket holder and you have attended both home games and any away game, they want to recognize you at midfield and kick you in the nuts to finish the job.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Given basketball season last year and how this football season has started, there will be an Old Testament sacrifice on the quad prior to game Saturday to try and appeal to the gods of sport. Cujo will be the subject of said sacrifice, sorry bud, it's been real.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 am

If the sacrifice calls for innocence, it is no wonder I was chosen.
Cujo

Postby wcugrad95 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Thoughts on the game? WCU is 3-1, but it would seem this game is just as important (if not more) to us as it is to Samford. It is not a secret we come in with a good offense but what many believe to be an equally bad defense. A ton of yardage between these 2 teams last year, and the popular prediction is the same kind of fireworks will be on display again this Saturday.
wcugrad95

Postby SAM1014 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:07 pm

The only thing on the line now is if we finish with a winning record or not. And that’s not looking very good.

I expect the same as last years game with Hatcher figuring out a new embarrassing way to lose the game
SAM1014

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm

wcugrad95 wrote:Thoughts on the game? WCU is 3-1, but it would seem this game is just as important (if not more) to us as it is to Samford. It is not a secret we come in with a good offense but what many believe to be an equally bad defense. A ton of yardage between these 2 teams last year, and the popular prediction is the same kind of fireworks will be on display again this Saturday.
I think, if ‘positioned’ properly, this game is just as, or, more important for Samford. And we all know the peeps in Homewood are MASTERS of ‘positioning.’

Though WCU doesn’t control their own destiny at this point. If the Catamounts beat Samford this week & Chattanooga next week; and if Furman loses to Wofford, as most will expect (regardless of the outcome of Wofford @ Chattanooga this week); then WCU will be back in full control of their destiny. If they win out from that point, the Catamounts will win their 1st-ever SoCon Championship AND make the Playoffs for the 1st time in 35 years. But, right now, they don’t control their destiny, yet still have a shot. If WCU’s loses to Samford, they will be in the same position - need help, albeit more, help...but still not out of it.

On the other hand, if Samford wins this game against WCU & wins out, the Bulldogs will be sitting at 7-4/6-2. With only 6 D1 wins among the 7 and no “good” OOC wins, they would, most likely, not receive an at-large bid. That said, Samford still has a chance at winning the SoCon and the Autobid. First, they, most likely, have to win out. Then, they would need Chattanooga to lose at least 2 of their 5 remaining SoCon games (Wofford, WCU, VMI, FU, & Mercer), which is quite possible. They also would need Mercer to lose at least 2 of their remaining 5 SoCon games (WCU, Wofford, ETSU, Chattanooga, & Furman), which is also quite possible. Then, they would need ETSU & Wofford to lose at least 1 additional SoCon to go with their “needed” losses to Samford. That would do it - 6 wins in a row, which they DO control & 6 “required losses” over which they have no control. If Samford loses to WCU, there may be some mathematical way that they could still win the SoCon AND have the “right” tiebreakers to get the autobid, but I doubt it.

So, before we even factor “Pride” into the equation, Samford loses EVERYTHING, including hope, if they lose this game. WCU doesn’t.

If we add in Pride as an “importance” factor, I think that comes down on the side of the Bulldogs also...unless Coach Hatcher has ‘lost the Team,’ in which case, WCU will win this game and the “importance” question is moot. A lot of Sr’s on 1 sideline that should be BURNING to finish their careers on a positive note by making a run at a Championship & Playoff berth regardless how slim the odds are that they can attain that goal. On the other sideline is a bunch of FR & R-FR on the 2-deep that could be thinking they have several more years to win a Championship.

We’ll see how it plays out, but I expect Samford to go “man-parts” out on Saturday. If they don’t, Coach Hatcher has lost his Team.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Next

Return to The Dog Pound