Post game thoughts

Post game thoughts

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Samford played a lot of players on both sides of the ball early and often who have not been seeing a lot of action.

Defensively, I saw some freshmen D linemen who looked good. I like the play of Nick Barton at safety.

Offensively, how many different players caught TD passes yesterday? I don’t recall anyone scoring more than once and those doing the catching were not your usual scorers. This team is loaded with weapons. The running backs are the strongest we have had in years. The receiving corp is scary. The emergence of Creamer yesterday has to give folks something to think about. He had his best game as a Bulldog. It makes you wonder “what the heck were we trying to do after the FSU game?”

Speaking of loaded with weapons, we attacked, we spread the oppoenent out and made them defend the entire field. We got away from the tightend formations and trying to establish a running game and we threw the ball down the field. Then we sprinkled in the run about 1/3 of the time (effectively, I might add).

Devlin made some incredible throws in very, very tight spaces. Dude balled out. We had 5 turnovers, but two of the three picks were when receivers tipped passes to the opponents. I don’t mind being aggressive. If your offensive is aggressive, then that’s what you do and you live with some of the risks. I’d rather score more than the other guy than spend our time on offense trying to not let the other guy score. Attack, attack, attack.

Big picture, it looked like the coaches gave up on trying to manage the game by controlling the clock and got back to what this offense is designed to do, which is score points. They let the players make plays and plays they indeed made.

The clock be damned. Rounding to an even number, there were about 150 plays in that game and we ran over 60% of them. We almost ran 100 plays. You can throw the clock out and time of possession out the window, give me snaps defended. That many snaps means lot of points and it means the defense gets worn down.

We’ll see what happens this week. WCU was, frankly, a train wreck yesterday. You can say it was us, you can say it was them, but we won’t know until we make VMI look like a trainwreck. If we do, then you can start seeing a trend. This team has/had the potential to be undefeated at this point (for all the accolades, we should have beat FSU), or 4-2 (FSU and KSU losses, but we should not have lost to Mercer and UTc). Instead, we are sitting at 2-4. VMI is improved, but if this team plays to potential it shouldn’t be any different than the WCU game. Yesterday we saw a team on a mission. We’ll see if this team has the moxy to do it two weeks in a row.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Post game thoughts

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 am

Cujo wrote:WCU was, frankly, a train wreck yesterday. You can say it was us, you can say it was them
You could also say a significant part of it was that Tyrie Adams was suffering from lingering effects from the beating he received the prior week in the Furman game...just as FUBeAR told you was going to be the case. Despite the relentless detractors from Cullowhee, FUBeAR has seen a thing or two.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:15 am

Q-Bear. I thought of you when he took a couple of shots in our game, fumbled and left. You called it.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Thought our kids showed a ton of character. It was a perfect recipe for a flat performance, and we came out and took the game by the scruff of the neck. WCU certainly didn't have their best day, but we forced most of their mistakes, not like it was bad/dropped snaps, muffed punts, etc. We came out aggressive on both sides. Would have liked to have seen the defense hold one or two of those short field possessions to FG's, but thought we played really well on that side. Missed one run fit in the 2nd half and gave up a big play, and only allowed a total of 2 explosive plays. Special teams were really sharp. Cujo mentioned Nick Barton, John Staton, was another walk-on who played really well on defense.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I missed this--can this be right? Tre'Shun Floyd--2 interceptions, 1 fumble recovery and 5 tackles. I remember a pick and a fumble recovery, but I didn't realize he had another pick. I noticed how much he played and how well he played, but talk about a day and a nose for the football. Def. POW. Of course, that other guy got Off. POW.
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 pm

You are right - I think the other interception was by Coutrell Plair. Still a great game by Floyd.
SU DOG

Return to The Dog Pound