This week our two favorite teams

This week our two favorite teams

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 am

other than Samford are Citadel and Furman. Pull for them. We need ETSU and Wofford to be holding at least one loss when we meet.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: This week our two favorite teams

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:26 am

Cujo wrote:other than Samford are Citadel and Furman. Pull for them. We need ETSU and Wofford to be holding at least one loss when we meet.

Yes - and you should also ALL be big Mercer fans this week; pulling for the Bears to bring home a much-needed SoCon OOC win over Yale. While Yale’s opening-game OT loss to Holy Cross and the shellacking Dartmouth gave them Friday night have taken a good bit of bloom off those Bulldog’s rose, they are still the defending Ivy League Champions. Mercer beating the Eli’s would become the SoCon’s best OOC win this year, unless someone takes down an FBS Team in Pre-Rivalry Week. At this point, the SoCon’s best OOC win is Chatt’s 10 point win over the OVC’s 1-4 UT-Martin. Really.

How many At-Large berths the SoCon gets this year, if any, may (or may not) matter to Samford Fams this year, but that is a metric that, right or wrong, affects the # of At-Large berths a Conference receives in subsequent years. SoCon had been making solid progress in that area in the past 3 years, but I am fearful, we may see 0 At-Large berths come out of the SoCon this year.

C’mon, say it with me...

GO BEARS! MAUL ‘EM!!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 am

With 24 teams in the playoffs, it would be really hard for the SoCon only going to get 1 team in. Not counting the IVY, the SoCon is the 4th best league in the massey comparison.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:17 am

We win out and I think you can’t write it off.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 am

sudog03 wrote:With 24 teams in the playoffs, it would be really hard for the SoCon only going to get 1 team in. Not counting the IVY, the SoCon is the 4th best league in the massey comparison.
You're probably right. I mean, we have to look to the 24 Team bracket WAY BACK in 2014 to find the last time the SoCon only got 1 Team in. Couldn't possibly happen now, y'know, this many years since that ancient time.
FUBeAR

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 am

Cujo wrote:We win out and I think you can’t write it off.
Don't know what you mean.

Are you saying that if Samford beats VMI, Furman, Wofford, CIT, and ETSU...then the losses Samford would add to those Teams (3 contenders, 1 long-shot, 1 all-but mathematically out) that would cause whichever Team gets the Autobid to be the only SoCon Playoff Team?

Samford, of course still have a shot at the Auto-bid with the 'win out' AND 2 other SoCon losses for Mercer, along with 1 more SoCon loss for Chatt, and 1 'other' (in addition to the 'needed' loss to Samford) SoCon loss each for ETSU AND Wofford.

Or, are you saying that Samford might get an At-Large bid with a 7-4/6-2 record, with only 6 D1 wins? Possible, I guess...but highly, highly unlikely, IMO. McNeese State stayed home last year with a 9-2/7-2 record and 8 D1 wins. Austin Peay stayed home at 8-4/7-1 with 8 D1 wins - and 3 of their 4 losses were to FBS Teams. Delaware also was left out at 7-4/5-3 with 7 D1 wins.

I'm not sure what I "can't write off."
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 am

Your probably right, I mean we would have to look back all the WAY BACK to 2016 to find the last time we got in with a 7-4 record and 6 D1 wins. Couldn't possibly happen, now, y'know this many years since that ancient time.
sudog03

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

sudog03 wrote:Your probably right, I mean we would have to look back all the WAY BACK to 2016 to find the last time we got in with a 7-4 record and 6 D1 wins. Couldn't possibly happen, now, y'know this many years since that ancient time.

Yep - and that year the SoCon had 2 Teams in the Top 10 & 2 more in the Top 20 when At-Large berths were announced. The 7-4 Team to which you are referring had a win over 1 of those Top 20 Teams, an OT loss to 1 in the Top 10, and an OOC win over a 9-2 Team, whose only other loss was to the #2 ranked FCS Team.

Right now, the SoCon has 1 Team ranked in the Top 25 & Samford’s best possible OOC win is over D2 Shorter. If Samford is able to win out, the losses that the Bulldogs would need to inflict on its SoCon opponents would probably keep Furman & ETSU from being ranked, even if they also won out. And, if they did also win out, that means Wofford would pick up 3 SoCon losses and would, most likely, tumble from the rankings. So, in order for Samford to have a ‘good SoCon win,’ it really could only be over a Wofford Team that otherwise wins out and, probably, stays in the Top 20 at 9-2/7-1. Would that 1 good SoCon win be enough to get Samford an At-large bid @ 7-4/6-2 with only 6 D1 wins and no ‘good OOC’ wins? I don’t think so. You may disagree, but, looking at it historically, unless Samford has a ‘friend’ on the Committee, as New Hampshire did for so many of its ‘odd’ rec’d bids, I just don’t see it happening. If that time comes, depending upon other circumstances related to my 2 FavoriteTeams, if they would be unaffected; I will hope that I’m wrong.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Sure their were circumstances, just as there were when the SoCon only got one team in 2014. It was a 8 team league, we were 5-2, with 2 non-d1 wins, therefore league only got 1 in. Nor was the SoCon the 4th best league amongst playoff leagues. Which is why I said "really hard" not impossible.

Wofford would be much higher than just top 20 at 9-2. Every team in the 20-24 spots will have flaws in the resume. Would the committee be able to find another FCS team who at that point would have 6 straight wins and a 4th qtr lead at FSU? I just think the committee has proven, and rightly so, that the only 6 D1 win category doesn't carry much weight.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I only envision us getting in if we finish 7-4 and tie Wofford (and/ or others) for conference title or we finish 7-4 and end the season defeating previously Undefeated-in-conference-play Wofford. The latter is a long-shot scenario. Too much football to play to be sweating over the scenarios. If there is a 1% chance, there is a chance. I have more important things to do than to spend time thinking about it beyond a passing post. If you want to debate it, XBear, someone else will have to pick up the mantle. I am not trying to convince you that I’m right, and I don’t care if you are.
Cujo

Next

Return to The Dog Pound