SoCon championship

Re: SoCon championship

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:29 am

Samford could have put up 100 on our opponents the last two weeks. In years past, we haven’t exactly lit up the score board against VMI. It wasn’t fair today. I mean a complete mismatch. Not sure why we caged our potential the last few years, but Hatcher appears to have decided to go gonzo on our opponents.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby 77SU » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:28 am

Cujo wrote:Samford could have put up 100 on our opponents the last two weeks. In years past, we haven’t exactly lit up the score board against VMI. It wasn’t fair today. I mean a complete mismatch. Not sure why we caged our potential the last few years, but Hatcher appears to have decided to go gonzo on our opponents.

FWIW, Had it not been for that block in the back foul toward the end of the third quarter, #8 would have broken Jimbo Fisher's record for number of passing touchdowns in a game at Seibert.
77SU

Postby sudog03 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Regardless of opponents played, what we've done on offense the last 2 weeks is hard to do. No way I'd want to play us right now. 8 and 6 have taken their games to another level. Mix in 1 with 27 running the ball, good luck to opposing defenses. OL has played outstanding the last 2 weeks.
sudog03

Postby sudog03 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Need Wofford to beat ETSU next week. Need UTC to lose 1 more against VMI, Furman, and Mercer left to play. Need Mercer to lose 2 more with WCU, Wofford, ETSU, UTC and Furman left to play. We win out, autobid.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:36 pm

The SoCon is still wide open. I’m not sure what the results of this season mean—I’m not sure if the SoCon is down or if there is a tremendous amount of parity. I did think that Wofford was WAY overrated. I do think that we completely sucked it up the first 1aa games of the year (inexplicably putting reigns on a race horse). The handicap has been taken off the offense and the talent level at the skill position is scary. I wouldn’t want to defend the version we’ve seen the last two weeks.

I still think ETSU has at least two losses left in them, not including us. UTC probably has the easiest route to a two conference loss record, but I don’t see them sitting alone at the top even if they win out, which means three-way tie. In that event, you will more likely than not have a Mexican standoff at the top (head to head tiebreakers will cancel each other out). I sure hope we are one of those at the top. My preference would be a 2 loss Wofford (with one of those losses to us) and us finishing tied, which would give us the head-to-head tie breaker. Still too much football to be played for me to wrap my head around it. It is simple, we just have to win out and let the chips all where they may. If we can dish out beatdowns like we have the last two weeks, I think people have to think that the beast has been awakened and even at 7-4 we sneak in to play someone in the first round. SoCon John has taken notice.

Beat FU—beat them like a drum. We have played well on that field (blowing them out, in fact) and they are coming off an emotional win. Let down coupled with red storm is rising—could it get ugly? I just hope we win.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby paladinfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 am

It is Furman's homecoming, and the Samford homecoming win from a few years back is still fresh in my mind.

I don't see a blowout either way. Of course, I didn't expect a three-touchdown win over Wofford either, so what do I know.
paladinfan

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm unfortunately going to miss this game in person and on video. I may have to go dark on all social media and the phone until I can stream the reply and watch it as if its live. I doubt I have that much discipline. I'll probably find the score and choose to watch or not based upon the outcome.

We hate _urman. Beat the F out of it.
Cujo

Previous

Return to The Dog Pound