I need help—who are we pulling for next weekend?

I need help—who are we pulling for next weekend?

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Mercer and Wofford faceoff somewhere. I want them both to lose, but . . . I want to win the power ball too, so . . . .

I think we want Wofford to win (and get the hell beat out of it in the process).

FuBear needs to lay out the scenarios for us. By the way, is FUBear the guy hiding giant rocks in his calves? Dude looks like a 50 seething year old stretch Armstrong.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: I need help—who are we pulling for next weekend?

Postby FUBeAR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 pm

* Samford - 3-2 - If Samford beats Wofford, The Citadel, and ETSU = 6-2 - Would need Mercer to lose 2+ SoCon games, and would need Chattanooga to lose 1+ to get Autobid.

So, yes - y'all are Wofford and VMI fans this week.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Simply put, other than KSU/FSU, if a team beat us, root against them. If we beat them or have yet to play them, root for them.
sudog03

Postby FUBeAR » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 pm

FUBeAR wrote:* Samford - 3-2 - If Samford beats Wofford, The Citadel, and ETSU = 6-2 - Would need Mercer to lose 2+ SoCon games, and would need Chattanooga to lose 1+ to get Autobid.

So, yes - y'all are Wofford and VMI fans this week.
Upon further review...it might be better, as a hedge, for Mercer to beat Wofford. That makes the Samford loss to Mercer look ‘less bad’ because of Wofford’s Ranking/‘Rep’ - then, depending on other situations, you do want Mercer to beat 1 of ETSU, Chatt, or Furman...whichever is considered the best Team at the time they play Mercer...So, probably ETSU. But...then Mercer, like Samford, will have 6 D1 wins with a head-to-Head over Samford....So...here’s an idea...take the kids / grandkids to the zoo & don’t worry about SoCon Football this weekend. Yep...that’s the ticket!
FUBeAR

Postby The Cats » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 pm

"I need help—who are we pulling for next weekend?" Western Carolina of course.
The Cats

Postby SU DOG » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 am

Cats - the help you need is for your defense to finally do something. I am really thinking, as I posted in the lines thread, that this is a possible upset win for the Catamounts. Good Luck Saturday.
SU DOG

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:26 pm

We need Mercer to lose two games while we win out. I believe that'd give us the socon title.
Go Bulldogs!!!
Jay

Postby FUBeAR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Jay wrote:We need Mercer to lose two games while we win out. I believe that'd give us the socon title.

A tie for the title, yes; but not the Autobid, unless Chatt also loses another SoCon game.

...unless I’m wrong...which is always a distinct possibility
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Depends on UTC. We would certainly lose out on the autobid if SU and UTC were the only two teams to finish 6-2. But if we end up with 3 teams at 6-2, with SU/UTC/somebody else, we wouldn't necessarily need UTC to lose another game. The initial 3 team tiebreaker is the record against the other two teams tied. Then it goes to the record against the 2nd place team in the standings. Lots of football to be played. Beat Wofford.
sudog03

Postby FUBeAR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 pm

sudog03 wrote:Depends on UTC. We would certainly lose out on the autobid if SU and UTC were the only two teams to finish 6-2. But if we end up with 3 teams at 6-2, with SU/UTC/somebody else, we wouldn't necessarily need UTC to lose another game. The initial 3 team tiebreaker is the record against the other two teams tied. Then it goes to the record against the 2nd place team in the standings. Lots of football to be played. Beat Wofford.

Yeah - a 3-way or 4-way or more-way does muck things up quite a bit..So...to restate a little bit of what CAN be known...if SU wins out and Chatt wins out...and Mercer wins out (except for losing to Chatt)...Woffy, ETSU, and Furman would all have more than 2 losses. SU would be kicked out of their 3-way with MU & Chatt though because of losing to Mercer & Chatt...and then Chatt would get the bid because of their win over Mercer.

OK...we know we don’t want THAT one...

...and I have a headache.
FUBeAR

Next

Return to The Dog Pound