Bye Week Thoughts

Bye Week Thoughts

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:21 pm

- Why the Jeykl/Hyde Season So Far?
It's really hard to pinpoint for sure what happened in our losses to Mercer, UTC, KSU. For whatever reason, we decided to start playing with a TE alot and were using WR's in different positions. I can't help but think the changes led to our kids having to overthink on the field (see, more turnovers), plus it didn't suit our roster's strengths. I think we may have chalked the Mercer loss to fatigue from the FSU game, when in hindsight (it's always 20/20), it may have had more to do with our strategy. After KSU, we got back to 4 and 5 WR sets, moved 1 and 6 back inside together, and picked up the pace. Even though we had fairly large leads at some point in our 3 game win streak, we have run 15% more plays per game than the 3 game losing streak. The percentage of pass plays called is about 60% in both stretches, but when you take into account we played catch up virtually the entirety of the losing streak vs. long stretches of games where we had large leads in the winning streak, you see a clear difference in how we are calling games.

- Where Do We Go From Here?
I think it's fairly simple. Win the last 3 games and we get in the playoffs. I would certainly be more comfortable on Selection Sunday if that meant the auto-bid, but I think our resume would be strong enough at that point regardless.

- The Emergence of Jai Creamer
If you want to see the clear difference in approaches to our offense, look no further than the production difference from Creamer in the two 3 game stretches. In the losing streak, he had a total of 4 catches. Starting in the WCU, we got back to playing Shelling and Mcknight exclusively in the slot, and nobody benefited from that more than Creamer. In the 3 game winning streak he has a total of 18 catches.

- Defense
Been a mixed bag. I was concerned about our interior line depth going into the season, and that's proven to be a bit of an issue against the interior run. But, we are 4th in the league in scoring defense and yards allowed per play using league games only, and I think this unit is improving. Aaron Atkinson and Koi Freeman were counted on being very significant contributors this season and I think losing both for the season several weeks ago was a real setback for this unit's potential.
sudog03

Re: Bye Week Thoughts

Postby SU DOG » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 pm

SPOT ON 03 that is it in a nutshell. Those 3 losses should NEVER have happened the way they did. As for our defense, I hope we will figure out our pass coverages and get better there, A couple of WIDE OPEN Furman receivers last Saturday was a scary sight. I know the next 2 opponents don't live on passing, but they are very capable of hurting us on a surprise long pass. I agree that the defense is getting better.
SU DOG

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Unless we win the autobid we are not a shoe in to make the playoffs at 7-4. I am not saying we won't, but I certainly don't think it is a given by any stretch. At 8-3 you can pretty much exhale. At 7-4, you have to rely on the cards to shake out in your favor (a la 2016). If we were 7-4 in the MVC or the CAA maybe, but going 7-4 in a relatively down year in the SoCon will make it challenging to squeeze in. Finishing the season strong and winning six in a row to finish the season admittedly does help our cause somewhat though.
BOE.
Smurf

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 pm

sudog03 wrote:It's really hard to pinpoint for sure what happened in our loss to Mercer. I think we may have chalked the Mercer loss to fatigue from the FSU game, when it may have had more to do with our strategy.
Is there even the slightest, remotest possibility that the Samford loss to Mercer was due to Mercer being the better Team?

I’ve heard that can, on certain very rare occasions, be a contributing factor. Maybe not.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby sudog03 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 pm

LOL. Mercer has a talented team. They had a great plan for us and Riddle played really well. What happened to him by the way, watched some last week and Riley was back out there.
sudog03

Postby FUBeAR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 pm

sudog03 wrote:LOL. Mercer has a talented team. They had a great plan for us and Riddle played really well. What happened to him by the way, watched some last week and Riley was back out there.

Dang Bellhop slung him to the ground and jumped on him breaking his collarbone with less than :20 left in the game.

It was a legal hit, but I don’t have to like it!

Not sure if he’s officially out for the season or not, but probably. Riley has played very well since the 2nd quarter at Yale though. I’d like to think ‘the light came on for him’ there. We’ll know more about that on Saturday.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.
FUBeAR

Postby Cujo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:39 pm

FUBeAR wrote:
sudog03 wrote:It's really hard to pinpoint for sure what happened in our loss to Mercer. I think we may have chalked the Mercer loss to fatigue from the FSU game, when it may have had more to do with our strategy.
Is there even the slightest, remotest possibility that the Samford loss to Mercer was due to Mercer being the better Team?.

Lol. Not a chance. That was a bag on the head loss, but that happens (too frequently).
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound