Wofford week

Wofford week

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:02 pm

If we beat Wofford, what will their excuse be this year? How can the greatest team in the world lose to the worst defensive team ever? The Furman loss was an aberration. Since they whipped Mercer, Wofford fans figure that whatever the glitch was that exposed Wofford’s defense is fixed, thus, their best defense in history belief is reaffirmed. Samford is pathetic against the run (according to Wofford fans), so they’ll run all over us and win (they’ll score 28 points, we will score less, which assures victory. Wofford finishes 9-2. It has been pre-determined since Wofford football is the beast of the SoCon and their fans are the smartest ever.

ETSU fans are convinced that the SoCon should shed the private schools and their rise to SoCon “domination” is proof that ETSU and the other big public schools are the best. I didn’t see it in their game against WCU, but apparently the public schools dominate the fan attendance too (although I have not seen more than 20 at any game played at Samford). Samford, Mercer and Wofford drag the SoCon down—we don’t have any fans. Furman they don’t mention because . . . .

Furman fans are pretty sure that they’ll win the SoCon tiebreaker because they are one of the big three (Ga.S., App. St. And Furman). If only they had not lost their qb, they would have run the table. It is true because they say so. Samford wouldn’t have beaten them, but for the injuries.

Mercer fans are a bit more pragmatic, but that’s only because of injuries. No other team has had injuries (except Furman). Samford’s win over WCU (and the 70+ points we put up on them was because WCU didn’t have its qb.

UTC has not fans, so . . . they aren’t really saying anything.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Re: Wofford week

Postby SU DOG » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 pm

I actually feel kinda sorry for the Catamount Fans. They had EVERY chance to win yesterday, but they went way too conservative with their late 4th quarter drives and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:59 pm

I was watching the game on my iPad and had to turn it off when my plane took off. I assumed the mighty pirates had lost. When I landed, I checked the SoCon scores. I almost couldn’t believe the final score that was reported. How in the world do you blow that game? The answer is 3 letters=WCU. I feel sorry for them and their fans, but man they look like a horribly coached football team. Their defense is just plain awful. I hope they keep their coach though.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Don't forget Furmans best quarterback is the one of the four who the coaches have actually played the least. Once they put the sisson kid in, watch out bama.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Again, the arm chair pundits on the Wofford board have concluded that the key to victory is putting pressure on Hodges and "rattling" him. Do these jokers watch the games from previous seasons? Do they watch the games from this year? I dare you to bring pressure and A. get to him before he gets the ball off; B. catch him (last year, all of our TDs came off of Hodges going backyard football on Wofford and creating chaos with his legs and his arm); and C. leaving our receivers with space to operate. I am confident that our receivers are better than their DBs and over the course of a game, the number of athletes with throw at them in the secondary is going to wear them out. They may beat us, but it won't be from rattling Hodges. The absurdity of that comment makes me laugh out loud. Ha ha ha ha (see, I'm laughing).
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Oh yeah, it terms of our "pathetic" rush defense, it has the 2nd lowest yards per rush allowed in the league, using league games only. With that said, Wofford will be able to run the ball on us. The key will be not to give them short fields via turnovers and limit big plays.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm

03, we also have not faced the top two rushing teams in the conference, so the stats might be a bit skewed. To your point, however, I think folks who have not seen Samford do not appreciate how good the defense is.

Regarding attendance, I expect 2,500 fans at kickoff, 6,500 by the midpoint of the first quarter and 3,000 there at the end of the game.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Cujo wrote:03, we also have not faced the top two rushing teams in the conference, so the stats might be a bit skewed. To your point, however, I think folks who have not seen Samford do not appreciate how good the defense is.

On an average yard per rush basis, using league games only, WCU is 2nd, Mercer is 3rd in the league.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 am

Selection committee top 10. Recognize anyone we could beat soon who would be a notch on the belt? Beat Wofford.

The Top 10:
1. North Dakota St
2. James Madison
3. UC Davis
4. Weber St
5. Elon
6. Kennesaw St
7. South Dakota St
8. Wofford
9. Eastern Washington
10. Delaware
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Cujo wrote:03, we also have not faced the top two rushing teams in the conference, so the stats might be a bit skewed. To your point, however, I think folks who have not seen Samford do not appreciate how good the defense Regarding attendance, I expect 2,500 fans at kickoff, 6,500 by the midpoint of the first quarter and 3,000 there at the end of the game.

1. Announced attendance was about 5,900. I Overestimated the homecoming crowd. A little disappointed. Attendance at kickoff was as predicted spot on. Attendance at the end of the game was spot on too. Question: Have we reached the point in modern society where our attention spans are so short that students can’t sit through a whole game? What do they have to do? Is being outside cheering for your team that taxing that they can’t make it to the end of the game they are so worn out? Samford played lights out and this team deserved better support than we gave them yesterday (I was there, just to be clear, through the playing of the song). Seriously, 30-40% of the fans left before the 4th quarter—the game was still in doubt. Boo Samford students and supporters, boo.

Cujo wrote:Again, the arm chair pundits on the Wofford board have concluded that the key to victory is putting pressure on Hodges and "rattling" him. Do these jokers watch the games from previous seasons? Do they watch the games from this year? I dare you to bring pressure and A. get to him before he gets the ball off; B. catch him (last year, all of our TDs came off of Hodges going backyard football on Wofford and creating chaos with his legs and his arm); and C. leaving our receivers with space to operate. I am confident that our receivers are better than their DBs and over the course of a game, the number of athletes with throw at them in the secondary is going to wear them out. They may beat us, but it won't be from rattling Hodges. The absurdity of that comment makes me laugh out loud. Ha ha ha ha (see, I'm laughing).

Was I spot in the error in the Wofford fans’ collective judgment about how to stop Hodges or was I spot on? The only thing that has contained Hodges is our OC’s ill fated strategy change for the UTC, Mercer and KSU debacles. You don’t put reigns on a thoroughbred, you give him room to operate. Watching the WC defensive linemen run helplessly after Devlin and their DBs getting exposed by the best receiving corp in the history of Samford and maybe the SoCon was so pleasing to this Samford eye. Since unleashing the beast, we have been unstoppable. WC made a valiant effort to bring pressure and mix up coverages, but Samford’s braintrust weathered the storm and made adjustments and made 68’s pick legendary. WC fools, you do not rattle Hodges, you do not get to Hodges, all you can do is try to contain Hodges. Hodges was getting the ball our quick, he was adlibbing and making plays, he was dropping dimes in tight spaces. WC’s vaunted defense that got all of its weaknesses out after the Furman game was . . . like any other victim to face this unstoppable force (only Samford’s coaching staff can stop this offense—have faith men, sling it around and score lots of points).
Cujo

Return to The Dog Pound