Basketball

Basketball

Postby sudog03 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Starts tomorrow. No idea what to expect. Physically, we look much better. Look to be longer, stronger, etc. Sounds like we are going to press less and focus more on our half court defense, that sounds positive. Hope we have a good season, finish middle of the pack in the league and get better as the season goes on. Would consider that a success.
sudog03

Re: Basketball

Postby SU DOG » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:36 pm

We WILL. This team is going to be a much improved bunch. I'm not predicting championships, just a much more competitive team.
SU DOG

Postby Cujo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. I've witnessed too much since the "Beginning" too buy into any predictions about basketball. You see how our NCAA tournament appearance team went last year.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby AP » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm

We are KenPom #320 (out of 353 in the country). The roster was gutted and is, essentially, all new. If we sniff .500 in SoCon play, I will be stunned.
AP

Postby Cujo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:23 am

First half was impressive. A 7 foot center is an advantage on defense.
In an imperfect world, absolute truth is divisive. There's no unity in truth. Decide then whether truth before unity or unity before truth?
Cujo

Postby Cujo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:46 am

Interesting game. Some talent on display. Ran UNA out of the gym. Game was over with 10 minutes left.
Cujo

Postby sudog03 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 pm

We have guys starting at Arizona, NC State, and Louisville. Another guy getting 13 minutes a game in the NBA minor league. Talent evaluation and acquisition hasn't been a problem. Getting them bought in and playing defense/rebound has been. Held UNA to 33% and outrebounded them by 16. Will know alot more about this team after these next 2 home games.
sudog03

Postby Cujo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:51 pm

It helps your defense when you can park a 7 footer under the goal who can swat shots like he’s playing ping pong. UNA was afraid to penetrate and when they did he either altered their shots or swatted them away. It was UNA playing its first D1 basketball game, but it appears to me we have more scoring threat than we did the last few years. Sharkey has really raised his game. It doesn’t look like we have a real back up to him that is comfortable running the point. Getting the ball up the court and inbounding it on our end of the floor left something to be desired.

Overall, we are undefeated!
Cujo

Postby SU DOG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Next up is JSU this Friday at the PHC. It will be a much tougher test. JSU has added Tennessee xfer Detrick Mostella, a shooting guard who was the Vols' MVP of the Maui Invitational 2 years ago. He sat out last year for the xfer rule. Their big 7 footer is gone, and thankfully because Giga was a terrific player. They do have a 6'11" Freshman who they are excited about. Back, however, is Christian Cunningham a 6'7" forward who is among the nation's top shot blockers, and led the Gamecocks in shooting percentage. JSU is picked 3rd in the OVC this year, and that says something there, as we know it is a good basketball league. This game is their opener.

It is an interesting matchup, but hey, this is JSU. No way we need to ever lose to the Yardbirds in anything.
SU DOG

Postby sudog03 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:43 pm

They could have beat us by 50 last year, if they wanted to, no exaggeration. A competitive contest would be a marked improvement.
sudog03

Next

Return to The Dog Pound